Thread: Go-Pro Gurus

Go-Pro Gurus

My tournament partner is looking to get one just to use when he fishes a tournament solo. He wants to be able to capture his day and delete afterwards. His rational is if somebody suspects him of doing something outside the rules, then he can give the footage to the tournament director for review. He does go on runs when he wins multiple weekends (I've seen 5 weekends in a row one year) in a row and is just trying to cover his basis. BTW-I've seen him with technology so the simpler the better.
    I don't know where we are, but we are making darn good time.

2. Member
    Well I'm no expert but I have a Hero 5 Black, waterproof case.

Mount: Go Pro Jaws Clamp and Go Pro Suction Mount...both are awesome. You can use suction mount literally anywhere but I usually jaw mount it to the back seat post.
    Charging: I use an Anker 12800 power bank. Keeps it going all day. I'd also look into the yolotek stick, that runs it off the boats light power supply.
    Memory: Go with either multiple 64gb sd card or a couple 128gbs. That'll hold you all day.

I manage most of my stuff through the phone app but I'm also a novice to all this. I'm sure there are better computer software options.

I'd say all this is probably about a 300-350 investment if you're a savy ebay shopper.

3. Member
    I run a 64GB SD card on a Hero 3 sliver at 720p 30FPS and am able to get 6 hours with the standard battery with the extended battery pack attached. Also at that frame rate I am able to get about 9.5 hours of footage on the one SD card so it does not require switching. I recently got a charger to plug it in to the cigarette lighter on the boat to get all day life on the camera but its not water proof when doing that. I know not all Go Pros have the option to go that low of a frame rate but for what he is looking for sounds like this would be a good option. From there you can just take the SD card and plug it into the computer and you have all your footage right there in about 25 minute segments.

4. Member
    I use a hero 5 session, 64 gb action cam rated chip, good for 5.5 hours 720@100, haven’t tried anything else for speed or quality, could probably get away with 30 but it defaults to 100 when I use the special go pro lighting options and what not. I have a chest mount I wear when I’m in the kayak or dads boat, I have it on a yolo stick in my boat which I love because I can keep it plugged in on a trickle charge.

I like your buddies thought, I had mine going all day when we had an mlf style biggest 5 tournament for our club this year. Had footage of my whole day, nobody but me in the boat. Got big bass that day with lots of proof to back it up.

I like watching the footage and it’s easy to make a video clip with the go pro app. I’ve tried other brands of cameras and go pro is the deal.

I use my two hero4 silvers all the time and they do an excellent job.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

I need a editing program to make a video longer than 5 minutes. hero 5 gets the job done very well. Love the voice commands.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    Had a HERO 5 now for 3 years and use it almost every time I’m out for something or another. You can go as much in as you want. For simple “video proof”.
    Power: Yolotek stick in the back of the boat with the camera plugged in, good all day and shows the whole boat view.
    Case: Waterproof case with float, just in case.
    Video storage: 64-128GB card(buy a good quality card)
    Recording: Shoot in 720/60FPS and you should be able to run all day (the lower the resolution you film in the less space the video takes on the card)
    Without sounding like a Jersey wearing, flatbill douche.... these are actually really handy tools. For me I run a 5 minute loop with a remote, saves time editing and I learn something watching what happens when I land a fish, loose a fish, miss a bite, and even catch some great memories and cool pictures.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

8. Member
    Battery life (or the workaround...) will be a concern. They are not too complicated...I'd stick to GoPro or similar 'name' brand. Buy as much as he can afford...and factor in $25 or so for a 128 mb micro SD.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

9. Member
    Yea, I do the same, video for when I fish a Big Bass event. Couple years ago, I couldn't see how to get the GoPro to record 8 hours, couldn't charge and record at the same time. So..... I bought a $45 dash cam from wally world. Works great, great quality video. I use the suction mount on top of the Merc, take it down when I run down the lake, ez.

I run one hero 5, plugged up in a water proof case, got 2 128 gb cards for out of town days... Can run all day on those cards.. multiple batteries if need be.. Looking at buying another camera... But I really want tactacam for hunting instead of another GoPro..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

The issue is going to be battery life. Going to have to carry several batteries and SD cards to capture a full day. The batteries are only good for a couple hours and even at the lowest resolution setting, the Action cams make large files (exponentially large as you improve resolution) If ALL he wants to do is protect himself from false claims, and doesn't care about video quality (like he is not going to be making "look at me I am professional bass fisherman now!" youtube videos) he might be better served with a good quality dash cam. Their video is not as good, but you can get them with much longer battery life.

One of the Action Cams - do not remember which one now, had a funny name - does not do GoPro quality and no image stabilization - but has like a 6 hour battery in it (though reviews say it really only last 4-5 hours).

my goPro hero 7 is supposed to have 90 minutes to 2 hours of battery life - maybe it does at the lowest setting - but the setting I use it does not even last a full hour.

12. Member
    Just to clear up, if you use the yolotek mount charging isn’t an issue. It plugs into your boat light in back and runs off you boat battery.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

13. Member
    Could you run these gopros off of a remote booster pack that takes a cigarette lighter type plug?

14. Banned
    Hero 7 or 8
    Yolotek mount
    2x 512 GB C10 microsd cards

That's all you'll need to record all day at 1080/60.

15. Member
    I have Hero 3's and with a 64 gig card I can run all day. Buy one of the battery packs on Amazon and you can run 2 days on a charge. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Port...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Brunton All Day 2.0 Extended Waterproof is what I use on my Hero 3 Black+

17. Member
    Go Pro with and ac adapter. Set up on 5 minute looping and forget about multiple SD cards. That's as simple as it gets.

It will make editing go so much easier when you only have to edit 30-40 minutes instead of 6 hours.

18. Member
    NO GURU. I have a hero 5 black . i use a yolotek mount and a 256 gb micro sd card. good for sixteen hours of video.