Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Updating Wood Grain Accent Parts

I bought a new to me 2006 Ranger 519VX this past spring and have really enjoyed the boat thus far. One thing though that is a bit of an eyesore to me is all the fake looking wood grain accent parts throughout the interior. Some of them have even faded into looking like a whole different shade altogether that doesn't even match the rest. I have seen others that have updated these and am looking for any advice on this. When speaking to Ranger about it they told me they no longer can supply these pieces and I would have to try and go though a company called Decorative Plastics. After speaking to them they told me they only provide flat pieces that would have to be cut. This may be an option for some of the pieces, but I do not believe for all because some of these pieces were clearly molded and I don't think a flat sheet of something would work. I have heard these pieces could also be removed and dipped, but I would imagine that is quite an undertaking unhooking all the switches and dials all over the whole dash area in particular. I have not been able to find any place out there that does any kind of a decal overlay or makes aftermarket parts, but was thinking something that was either brushed aluminum, black in color similar to the housing that these pieces are in, or carbon fiber would make it look much more updated. Any input would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by tim_kovar; 11-04-2019 at 04:00 PM.

2. Member
    Call Scott Ashmore in Tennessee. Ashmore marine. He makes
    Some nice ones.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I am not an expert on replacing/refurbishing these trim pieces, but carbon fiber “cloth” is readily available in sheets and inexpensive, as well. If you were painstaking with your work, I would think that the trim pieces could be removed and wrapped in that cloth to make a nice-looking effect. Instead of paying GM $236 for black bow ties emblems on my truck, I got some carbon fiber sheets on eBay for $10 and wrapped the factory emblems. You’d almost need a magnifying glass to tell the difference between my version and the expensive one, and it’s stood up to 2 years going down the road with zero wear. Not trying to cheap out.... If you can find someone to provide a quality product at a fair price, nothing is too good for our boats!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Banned
    You can paint them. There a paint that came out several years ago that does well on plastic, will take a little prep time but I'm sure it will come out nice.

Hydro dip....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    to replace them you would have to take them out anyway i would dip them call k and k customs just do a search on here hes pretty good i hear and lots of guys on here used him and i have never heard a negative thing about him.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger521znem View Post
    to replace them you would have to take them out anyway i would dip them call k and k customs just do a search on here hes pretty good i hear and lots of guys on here used him and i have never heard a negative thing about him.
    this is true. But the only really difficult pieces are the drivers side. Took me less time than I thought, and I usually underestimate due to my OCD. Take your time keep the wiring organized or take photos and it’s not that hard. Once removed you can cover yourself with carbon fiber wrap or hydro dip them. I had mine dipped by K and K great work and pretty reasonable. Did my graph covers too. Zero complaints
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    this is true. But the only really difficult pieces are the drivers side. Took me less time than I thought, and I usually underestimate due to my OCD. Take your time keep the wiring organized or take photos and it’s not that hard. Once removed you can cover yourself with carbon fiber wrap or hydro dip them. I had mine dipped by K and K great work and pretty reasonable. Did my graph covers too. Zero complaints

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    You can paint them. There a paint that came out several years ago that does well on plastic, will take a little prep time but I'm sure it will come out nice.
    Could you provide anymore specifics on a paint that would adhere to them and last in the elements? I would think you would have to get the wood grain film off the pieces first too.

10. Member
    Going to do mine this winter. Watching this thread...

11. Member
    If anyone needs any Vx custom replacement panels please feel free to holler at me. Been doing this stuff for a while now.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshmoreMarine View Post
    If anyone needs any Vx custom replacement panels please feel free to holler at me. Been doing this stuff for a while now.
    I bought an AMP bow panel for my ‘06 519VX. The fitment was awesome. I would expect the other panels to be nice as well.

13. Member
    Thanks so much ethosb !

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_kovar View Post
    Could you provide anymore specifics on a paint that would adhere to them and last in the elements? I would think you would have to get the wood grain film off the pieces first too.
    You are going to have to do some prep work. They will need to be lightly sanded to take the shine off, then cleaned. Then primed, then the colour. My buddy did some trim on his mustang, came out very nice. Hydro dipping or full custom trim is obviously an upgrade but they going to cost some money. With a little time and effort you can paint them for $30. Choice is yours.... when it comes time to update my trim I'm just going to paint them.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_kovar View Post
    if you would like a full hydrodip job with a professional finish contact me for pricing. Happy to give you a quote, for a professional finish that will last.

16. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If I may say so, this thread is a perfect example of what the Ranger forum does best. Lots of helpful, innovative ideas here, and everyone on the same page. Kudos, gentlemen!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I took my front panel off, traced it onto 3/16" aluminium, cut it out with plasma cutter, painted it, put Ranger emblem on it and mounted my lowrance ti2 12. Solid as a rock. Just another option good luck.
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy/LGF View Post
    I took my front panel off, traced it onto 3/16" aluminium, cut it out with plasma cutter, painted it, put Ranger emblem on it and mounted my lowrance ti2 12. Solid as a rock. Just another option good luck.
    I did the same thing years ago with a little triton I had. Front panel broke, I traced it onto steel tho and cut it out. Prime, paint and put a triton logo on it. Looked great.
    On my ranger now I removed the old graph at the TM that was flush mounted. I made a cover plate out of that cutting board material and mounted new graph with factory gimbal bracket. Works amazing and actually looks good.
    Lots of options...

If K and K does it it’ll be right !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy/LGF View Post
    do you have a couple pics of it i would like to see what it looks like thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast