Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any of you all have any experience with the 6.5 Creedmore

if so what rifle you shooting it out of? been kinda curious about this caliber for a while and just about pulled the trigger on a lower end gun (Ruger American) yesterday at Academy.

was curious to hear your thoughts on it.

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    I have 1 in a Kimber Mt. Ascent. I'm very happy with the caliber. It does what its supposed to on deer, I haven't used it on any other species yet. It has become my current favorite.

4. Member
    I also have a Kimber, it is rock solid as the round. I shot a 270 and a 7mm mag depending on where I hunted, I retired those two as I now have no need for them.

Everything I read about it is that it is a great round, I just don’t want to deal with another caliber. That said it really doesn’t show its muscle until longer distance. At normal deer range 200 yards and under pick a round a pond go.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

I got a Savage Axis stainless last year in 6.5 but haven’t even shot it yet. The above post is correct though. If you look at the ballistics, there’s calibers that are just as good out to 250 or so. The 6.5 shines at longer ranges but a good argument can be made that the 7 mm Magnum is better. But what’s wrong with having one more rifle in one more caliber?

7. Member
    I’ve got one in a weatherby vanguard kryptek banshee. It’s very accurate! First 3 shots at 50 yards could cover with a dime. I killed a deer with it last year. Easily did the job. Recoil is about like a 243 win. It shoots flatter than a 243. I’m very impressed with the cartridge and love my weatherby’s!

8. Banned
    Wife has one (Savage)she likes it very accurate not much recoil.She's hoping to bag a deer this season with it.

9. Member
    Fine round and I'd expect to see it continue to gain popularity esp. with the military adopting it. Neighbor was getting into hunting last year and asked me for my opinion. 6.5 was on the list of three that I suggested and that's what he got in a Savage Axis. Took a deer with it and also dropped a 600# moose with one shot.

I already have two 7mm-08's and they are so close in ballistics that I don't see any advantage to adding a 6.5 for the type of hunting I do.

10. Member
    I would prefer a 6.5x55 fwiw but I appreciate the classics. I have never gotten on board with the newest flavor of the month. Who knows how popular and merging new will be and how available components will be in 10-15 years.

Have a Savage model 11 and a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. Both shoot Hornady 143 grain ELD-X well under MOA. So far the two rifles have accounted for a blackbuck doe (65 yards), two Axis does (108 and 269 yards), two Pronghorn does (50 yards and 60 yards), and one Pronghorn buck (152 yards). Recoil is minimal (bought the Savage for my boys), and everything we’ve shot has been dead within sight (most DRT). My .270 Win may never go out again unless I just get nostalgic.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I would prefer a 6.5x55 fwiw but I appreciate the classics. I have never gotten on board with the newest flavor of the month. Who knows how popular and merging new will be and how available components will be in 10-15 years.
    Yeah, I got a similar reaction from my dad's hunting buddies 27 years ago when I brought my 7mm-08 to deer camp. "That's a wildcat round, it'll never be popular." It's taken a while to get more variety and availability of ammo but it seems to be here to stay unless the 6.5 pushes it off the stage. It's the new light sniper rifle for SOCOM because it blows away their 7.62mm as well as a bunch of traditional rounds. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...und-next-year/

I have a browning xbolt western hunter. Accurate round and rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    I got a Savage Axis stainless last year in 6.5 but haven’t even shot it yet. The above post is correct though. If you look at the ballistics, there’s calibers that are just as good out to 250 or so. The 6.5 shines at longer ranges but a good argument can be made that the 7 mm Magnum is better. But what’s wrong with having one more rifle in one more caliber?
    im glad I’m not to only one with unfired guns in the safe. I need a good range day.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Yeah, I got a similar reaction from my dad's hunting buddies 27 years ago when I brought my 7mm-08 to deer camp. "That's a wildcat round, it'll never be popular." It's taken a while to get more variety and availability of ammo but it seems to be here to stay unless the 6.5 pushes it off the stage. It's the new light sniper rifle for SOCOM because it blows away their 7.62mm as well as a bunch of traditional rounds. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...und-next-year/

WOW -that’s big news
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I just bought a 7-08 this year. I guess it is now classic enough for me

17. Member
    Bergara LRP, Mossberg MVP Light Chassis and a Savage Axis in 6.5 CM. The first two are great shooters but have shot the Axis yet.

18. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I will be picking up a 6.5 at some point as well for no reason other than I want one. LOL. Mine will be a budget gun as well. Looking at the Savage Axis, The ruger american or the Mossberg Patriot. Will be a plinker only for me.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    Wife has one (Savage)she likes it very accurate not much recoil.She's hoping to bag a deer this season with it.
    What model Savage does she have?

20. Member
    I bought a tikka CTR in 6.5cm and rigged it up with a 20 moa rail, muzzle brake, 4.5-27 scope, bipod, raised cheekrest and several additional pounds of weight in the stock, to shoot casual PRS matches. I own other rifles, including a 7 mm-08 and 308, the reason I bought a 6.5 is because nearly everyone shooting precision rifle shows up with a 6.5, so ammunition is readily available in long-range appropriate configurations much cheaper than the equivalent quality in other comparable calibers (minus maybe 308, which isnt nearly as good at longer range), parts and other stuff are very easy to come by, barrel life is pretty good, etc. I’m not a flavor of the month guy, but the simple availability of ammunition and parts made it an easy choice in a round that was appropriate for long range shooting, relatively affordable to shoot factory ammo, but without heavy recoil. I don’t think the round itself is really much more accurate than others, but it’s built specifically for long range shooting and does a reasonably good job at that in a standard short-action platform. My rifle is pretty good for off the shelf, probably a legit one moa rifle without going overboard, which is more than accurate enough so that my positional shooting misses aren't the guns fault.
    If it was just another hunting rifle, I would’ve bought another 7 mm 08 in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 11-06-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast