Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    im glad I’m not to only one with unfired guns in the safe. I need a good range day.
    I know, right? I had every intention of scoping the Axis and hunting with it this year. However, about a week after buying it, I decided I wanted a Savage 220f slug gun. Let me tell you, that thing is a shooter and is more accurate than some rifles. I’ll be using it Saturday for Kentucky’s gun opener.

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son and I both have savages in it he had his barrel shortened to the leagal min and has a can on it. I have seen him ring metal at thousand and kill a deer at 660 yards.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Member
    Roddy - what model of Savages do you and your son have?

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    12FV I think. Hus is a sweet gun with the short barrel and a can.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bassfanpa View Post
    I have 1 in a Kimber Mt. Ascent. I'm very happy with the caliber. It does what its supposed to on deer, I haven't used it on any other species yet. It has become my current favorite.
    I could care less about the creed more but I’m very interested in your thoughts on the kimber mountain ascent. Im flirting with the notion of picking one up, I like everything about it from what you can tell in a gun store except how the bolt feels , something just feels odd to me, but probably just being picky. Feel free to pm me if you have time and don’t mind, I don’t wanna hijack this fellows creedmore thread

7. Member
    My wife has one. It occasionally fails to feed properly and the bolt binds just enough that it causes a problem for her once in a while. Personally I can run it without issue if I take my time, but it causes issues for her. I prefer my tikka and even Remington’s. At a Kimber price point I think you can do better.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    My wife has one. It occasionally fails to feed properly and the bolt binds just enough that it causes a problem for her once in a while. Personally I can run it without issue if I take my time, but it causes issues for her. I prefer my tikka and even Remington’s. At a Kimber price point I think you can do better.
    That's surprising. I'd expect it to perform at least as well as a 700.

9. Member
    Ruger american 6.5 creedmor at 385 yards.
    thumbnail_20191130_125804_resized.jpg

10. Member
    My cousin told me over Thanksgiving that his 6.5 CM is a great shooting distance gun. The only trouble he had was he shot a whitetail behind the shoulder at 50 yards. The deer ran off and he didn't find a speck of blood. He did recover the deer, but the bullet is so fast at that distance it must be cauterizing as it goes through.

11. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Skeeter View Post
    My cousin told me over Thanksgiving that his 6.5 CM is a great shooting distance gun. The only trouble he had was he shot a whitetail behind the shoulder at 50 yards. The deer ran off and he didn't find a speck of blood. He did recover the deer, but the bullet is so fast at that distance it must be cauterizing as it goes through.
    Sorry but that is truly funny, More likely problem would.be poor bullet selection.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Sorry but that is truly funny, More likely problem would.be poor bullet selection.
    Shooting a match bullet most likely. The 6.5 is not a speed demon.

13. Member
    Just tell him to switch to Hornady whitetail loads (my preference) or even basic Corelokts. Hit 'em right and there won't be a need for trailing but either round will leave sufficient blood

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Shooting a match bullet most likely. The 6.5 is not a speed demon.
    Definitely has to be the type of bullet he is using. Have shot plenty with a 7mm mag at that yardage with Nosler ballistic tips and have always had tons of blood to follow, and this bullet is traveling a lot faster than the Creedmoor.

15. Banned
    I have heard those same stories from just about every caliber out there and it really is all about bullet selection. 6.5 is by no means a fast caliber. Its a good caliber but not what I would call a fast caliber.

16. Member
    I am thinking of buying a new rifle with synthetic stock and coated barrel and bolt for days where rain may be in the forecast.
    My other two rifles are wood stocked.
    So sounds like the 6.5 is a perfect gun for starting shooters with light recoil.
    I think it would be great for my grandsons who are 13 and 14.
    i am looking at the ruger, savage, browning xbolt. I picked up a weatherby and was immediately struck by how light it felt.
    About $834. I didn’t pull the trigger-yet-as the weather forecast improved for Kansas last week.
    Still looking to tag my first. Going out in an hour to try and make that happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12