'07 Mercury Optimax -- Issues

1. 2007 Mercury Optimax (1B425916)

I was fishing down on Guntersville this last weekend. Running back towards the ramp and was literally 1000 yards away from the ramp when the engine suddenly bogged down. Engine was still running but it bogged down and as we came down off plane it was idling rough. Every 15 seconds +/- I would hear a strange clacking noise.

I tried to put the boat in neutral and it was very difficult to get into neutral. Finally got it in neutral, shut the engine down, raised the motor and everything around the prop was clean. Started the engine back up and it was idling rough. There was a lot of mud and grass on the bottom of the motor. Tried to put it in reverse and it would not go in reverse. I put in back in forward and it engaged but it was very hard to get in gear. We limped over to the boat dock and still had this random clacking / clicking noise that I would get every 10 to 15 seconds. As we approached the boat dock I put it in neutral but the engine was still turning the prop and, even though the shifter was in neutral, the engine was not.

Any thoughts? I have an appointment to take it in to my boat shop later this week. I was just curious if anyone has experienced anything like I am describing?

UPDATE: Insurance denied the claim. Said not enough signs of "Significant Impact". Not happy about it and don't agree with it but life goes on. If you have Progresive and you are going to hit something you better make sure you hit it REALLY GOOD :-)
    Last edited by kyfisherman1; 12-05-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Backstory

See forum anouncments and provide all required info
    Lower unit, drain the oil for inspection
    Inspect plugs and compression test as well
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    See forum anouncments and provide all required info
    Lower unit, drain the oil for inspection
    Inspect plugs and compression test as well
    I added the serial number. I am taking it to a shop later this week. I was just curious if anyone has any thoughts on what it might be.

get insurance involved, may be covered
    You hit something before this occurred right!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    get insurance involved, may be covered
    You hit something before this occurred right!
    If felt like we may have run aground......lots of grass and mud.