89 Sabre progress

Haven't posted anything in a while but here's some pics of what I started with and where I'm at now. This has been a ton of work and time invested but by and large things have come out better than I had originally imagined. Really appreciate the help I've gotten from people on here (totalbeverage) as well as the folks at Bass Cat and some of the guys in my club who have lended a hand when two wasn't enough.

Quick recap...89 Sabre that was in horrible shape except for a solid transom and floors (sitting on a trailer that was in suprisingly good shape), stripped it bare, cleaned it up, had it painted, new carpet, Kiwi gripped the cockpit, hung a Bobs, hung and rigged a rebuilt 92 XR6, new controls, Uflex Protech steering, installed a 36V Ultex (complete overkill), all new electrical (wiring, pumps, fuse box, cutoff, gauges, switches), new dash panels, some new hardware (gas tank selector, gas filler, latches, etc), keel gaurd, windshield, lithium batteries (complete overkill).

What I have left...finish wiring, rubrail, install electronics (pair of 7" Helix's), trailer wiring, tires, bearings and bunks and probably pull off those fenders and do something with them.

IMG_20190606_065407990.jpg

IMG_20190606_065421464.jpg

stripped.jpg

sabre4.jpg

sabre5.jpg

sabre3.jpg

sabre1.jpg

sabre2.jpg

Nice job!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Neat lookin work there !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Your boat looks great. A successful resurrection to the Bass Boat "World of the Living" .

5. Member
    Looking gooooooood

Very nice!
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

8. Member
    Thanks guys, learned a lot from the posts on this board. It's been a fun project so far and can't wait to get it finished and in the water come spring. Most of the credit for how it looks goes to my buddy Doug who did the paint. A lot of the stuff I have never done before but it's not really rocket science. I'll end up being into it for a little over $10K. I'm sure I could have gotten another pretty nice one ready to fish for that but this feels more satisfying. I think I'm going to mount the first fish I catch out of it on a rod I built and a jig I poured and tied (probably not but I'll take a nice pic)

Sweeeeeeeeeeet
    2023 ranger 198p

10. Member
    Very nice ! Satisfaction of a redo can't be bought

11. Member
    What did you use for the console plating?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnaggleToothSabre View Post
    What did you use for the console plating?
    It's plastic, there's a woman in my club who has a business and one of her pieces of equipment is a laser cutting/etching machine. I gave her the old panels, showed her what holes I wanted cut and she made them. Also did the BCB engraving.

13. Member
    Ya Know, the colors are a good choice. My little boat will be painted Lime Green / Silver Flake Stripe I think. The full glitter jobs has lost it's appeal. Post a picture in full sun, I'm always open to changing my mind on color.

14. Member
    Appreciate the reply. I’m looking to redo my console and all the wiring in my 96’ Sabre as well. I’ve been thinking about buying hdpe sheeting and cutting it out.

15. Member
    Please, don't react like I'm ready to do this today but being a Chief Engineer I took a unusual path as I was a Marine Electrician for 13 yrs before getting my USCG Chief Engineer license. Anyway. Since deciding to retire I'm thinking of ways to still work. One thing I have been doing is making wiring harnesses for my customers boats. I feel confident with a list of planned devices, distances and locations, I can prefabricate a wiring harness with all the environmental plugs, labels, using the standard color codes, like a wiring harness you buy from Jegs or Summit for your hotrod. The final terminations would need to be made on site for stuff like Bilge Pump, Bait Pump, Livewell Recirculation Pump, etc. Dash panels could be completely wired in with a plug to the harness. I keep all the PICO plugs, pins, etc here. The panels would need to be shipped to me. Your thoughts?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Please, don't react like I'm ready to do this today but being a Chief Engineer I took a unusual path as I was a Marine Electrician for 13 yrs before getting my USCG Chief Engineer license. Anyway. Since deciding to retire I'm thinking of ways to still work. One thing I have been doing is making wiring harnesses for my customers boats. I feel confident with a list of planned devices, distances and locations, I can prefabricate a wiring harness with all the environmental plugs, labels, using the standard color codes, like a wiring harness you buy from Jegs or Summit for your hotrod. The final terminations would need to be made on site for stuff like Bilge Pump, Bait Pump, Livewell Recirculation Pump, etc. Dash panels could be completely wired in with a plug to the harness. I keep all the PICO plugs, pins, etc here. The panels would need to be shipped to me. Your thoughts?
    I appreciate the thought but I've already set up my fuse box, buss, cutoff and run my wire. I just ran out of warm enough weather to be making the final connections without cold hands.

17. Member
    Looks really nice!!