Smartcraft System Monitor Intermittent

2011 200hp ProXS 1B809633 on a 2010 Basscat Pantera Classic. Boat came with a round black system monitor which I use on temperature setting most of the time as I am sure we all do. It has software version 3.04. The unit has become intermittent in that at start up, the hours and temp show as dashes. The gallons used since last reset continue to show up. At the unit, red wire has 12 volts, black wire has ground. The resistance between the blue and white wire at the connector shows 60 ohms as it should. All tests performed while fault was occurring. I have plugged and unplugged all the connectors I can find and no change to the dashes. After operating the boat for a while, the unit kicks in and performs as it should usually for the rest of the day. It seems to act up more in the cold weather. Any ideas? I am thinking bad system monitor but could it be ECU?

2. Member
    It not likely to be a PCM problem, since you're not experiencing performance issues.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try a master reset, and if that does not work, you may need to replace the Instrument (perhaps a good time to upgrade to a MercMonitor).

One question on your resistance testing: Did you have the cable disconnected from the engine when you tested resistance between the Blue and White Wires?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    All cables were connected at engine when I tested. Thanks for your replies guys.
    Last edited by nightcaller; 11-04-2019 at 01:33 PM.

5. Member
    I performed a master reset and the unit is now saying "nonE" which the manual says means the gauge is not seeing any engine computers. (But engine runs fine).

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Resistance should read 60 ohms with the cable DISCONNECTED from the engine.

Check the pins on the engine end (both sides of the connection) to make sure they are fully seated. The PCM itself DOES have a resistance value... so I'm wondering if what you were seeing was possible a circuit that's not fully seated/connected.

This would also account for the "nonE".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I unplugged the lower pcm connector and tested from the lower two pin holes in the connector and the resistance back up the system was 60 ohms. I tested the resistance between the 2 pins on the PCM and it was very high. No reading at all until I went up to the 200K ohm scale on my inexpensive dvom. I hope it's not in the PCM.

8. Member
    Also, with just the system monitor unplugged and the key turned on, there is only a low voltage reading on one of the two datalink wires in the plug (in a truck, this would be a problem...not sure if it is the same on a boat datalink).

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are no approved "voltage" tests on the Can-P circuit- be very careful about attempting anything along this line.

When you went up to the 200k ohm scale testing the PCM circuit for the blue to white wires (unplugged), WHAT was that reading?

10. Member
    I think it was 35 but I don't trust it with my inexpensive meter. I have been thinking I need to find a buddy where I can test my gauge on their boat to be sure on this one. Thank you for your help. You are the man!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be a pretty simple method (just remember- you must have a network with TWO terminating resistors, can't just plug straight into an engine).

12. Member
    I plugged in my system monitor to the network on a buddy's Opti and it instantly read data from his PCM. I retested all voltages and resistance values. (But change to comment 8 above....seeing a little over 2 volts on both white and blue wires at the monitor and it is the same on my buddy's boat). I reverified continuity all the way from the plug at the systems monitor to the lower connector on the PCM. I think my PCM is not transmitting data to the network. Don, do you do repair work on PCM's?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I can test the PCM's Smartcraft Circuit, but do not repair PCM's. Simon Technologies (BBC Sponsor) can do that in most cases.

I would avoid anything other than RESISTANCE TESTS on the Can-P circuit... as stated earlier there are NO "voltage" tests for the Can circuit. Probing voltage tests on sensitive computer circuitry can potentially cause damage to the circuits in the PCM.

14. Member
    Thank you so much, Don.

15. Member
    The problem turned out to be a broken pin in the PCM connector. It was testing good as pressure from the voltmeter lead was "making" the connection.