Trim Switch Mystery

On my 2001 Pro175 have developed a wierd problem on my throttle handle tilt trim switch. The bow switch works just fine, but the switch on the throtle is on and off and only for down though.
    Up no problem. I can get it down if I fiddle with where I press down and that is at the very bottom of the switch in one corner. Since the bow switch is just fine, should I pull the throttle handle and see if I have a crusty connection somewhere? Obviously not the unit on the motor, or the bow switch would not work either.

2. Member
    Yes, first thing I would check is the switch.
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

3. Member
    That is what I figured and now I have figure out how to get inside the throttle handle.

4. Member
    I have a '96 Johnson 50 hp that has the same issues.

Except, my trusted (25 years) mechanic tells me that don't make that particular configuration of a switch anymore. He was able to add two separate switches (up and down) on the sidewall, near my control.

No way around it, unless I could find a complete control box of that era. Even then, the switch inside would be just as old as the one that I already own. Hope you can find a replacement switch.... if that is the issue.

5. Member
    Thanks. Trying to find a decent weather day and time to pull the throttle and see what is going on.

6. Member
    I found this on Printerest Hope it helps.

yamaha outboard remote control comp parts 703 diagram and ...
    https://images.app.goo.gl/YDrfy66JUBDxhY1z6

7. Member
    I thank you so much for this. I have hunted all over for this throttle, but did not know the 703 model of the throtte and who would have thought it is on Pinterest.

8. Member
    I am not positive that the 703 is the same as yours. Usually, though, The rigging and setup will be very similar.

9. Member
    The story gets better, as I stumbled onto the Yamaha outboard parts site, and I called. Long story short, the guy who helped me told me, and after asking me the year and outboard model, that I do not have a 700 series control, but I have a 6X0 control box and then after a several minutes of searching on their system (it is a 1999 motor) had good news, they have the tilt trim switch for the control for $35 and he gave me the Yamaha part number. It pays to go to the folks who built it. I still thank you for getting me started with a question of what control do I have.

10. Member
    Glad it seems to be working for you.

11. Member
    That happened to me doing the same thing brought it in to be repaired & thought it was the switch on the throttle & turned out to be the trim motor.

12. Member
    I know in this case it is not the motor for sure because the bow switch works jus fin up and down thank goodness.