Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Who else cancelled social media?

I finally broke down and cancelled Facebook. When all of the posts are curated to drive an emotional response, plus all of the data tracking, I figured the negatives finally outweighed the positives. Plus the 2020 election posts will be unbearable. Anyone else pulled the plug?

2. Banned
    No. I just scroll past and get on with my day and not let internet people ruin my day....like a normal person.

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Nah...use it to keep in touch with friends/family, a few fishing things, my wifes horse things....don't pay attention to the other items, if someone keeps posting political stuff will unfriend them specifically.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Definition of Irony- Posting about canceling social media on a social media website.

Just giving you trouble. I get tired of some of the crap that is on there, but I am also able to separate reality from fiction and enjoy keeping up with friends and family that I don't get to see all the time.

You posted this on "social media".

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Nah...use it to keep in touch with friends/family, a few fishing things, my wifes horse things....don't pay attention to the other items, if someone keeps posting political stuff will unfriend them specifically.
    Unfriending can cause drama with these social media people....just hit that unfollow on their profile....its like they never existed. I rarely do that...but when people are just too much (BOTH SIDES BTW), they just get hit with the "unfollow"

7. Member
    Ditched Facebook years ago, similar reasons. No regrets..

8. Member
    I’ve never been on it, never will.

9. Member
    Yeah, but only higher, more cultured beings are on BBC. Facebook is for the dregs of humanity.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    You posted this on "social media".
    Message boards are different than Facebook. I guess they could be considered distant cousins.

11. Member
    I got rid of Facebook two years ago, got rid of my iPhone and went to a flip phone at the same time. I'm a much better person, better husband, and better dad now, when I'm living in the real world and not diving into the internet all day. I'm sure some people do a fine job of managing their screen time, but for me it was a problem, so I quit it and don't miss it. I have an iPad I can hop online with if I need to email or look something up, but it is wifi only. Having to go those extra steps vs just pulling a smartphone out really helps me be in control of my internet time.

its kind of odd tho, as I'm often the only person in a room not staring at a screen..lol

I just skip and not respond to anything that does not interest me. I realize i have complete control over what I see, read or respond to on FB. I enjoy it for the most part. Usually if someone starts getting spun up over there i just unfollow them rather than unfriend them. I also ho through and make sure I have some type of connection with the people on my friends list. If they are not a friend, acquaintance, family or someone I know or know of through work, hobbies etc then I unfriend them.

13. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    Unfriending can cause drama with these social media people....just hit that unfollow on their profile....its like they never existed. I rarely do that...but when people are just too much (BOTH SIDES BTW), they just get hit with the "unfollow"
    Why should I care about their drama? After unfriending them I do not see their crap anymore.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mixermark View Post
    I got rid of Facebook two years ago, got rid of my iPhone and went to a flip phone at the same time. I'm a much better person, better husband, and better dad now, when I'm living in the real world and not diving into the internet all day. I'm sure some people do a fine job of managing their screen time, but for me it was a problem, so I quit it and don't miss it. I have an iPad I can hop online with if I need to email or look something up, but it is wifi only. Having to go those extra steps vs just pulling a smartphone out really helps me be in control of my internet time.

its kind of odd tho, as I'm often the only person in a room not staring at a screen..lol
    It is getting scary. I have to honk at several people each week who sit through green lights as they scroll through their phones. Screen zombies.

15. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    never joined it myself...………..lots do...…….just never got into it
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

Gotta have a place to read about the worlds problems. Some you can read here, some you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    Message boards are different than Facebook. I guess they could be considered distant cousins.

Still considered social media though. Ranting on here about FB is the same thing some people hate about FB..rants.

18. Banned
    Luckily, we don't get the intraweb down here...

19. Banned
    This is the extent of my "social media" presence... Fishing sites... If someone from my past wants to catch up with me they can do it the old fashion way... If they can't do that, well I guess it wasn't that important... Dan

20. Member
    Have been off of Facebook for a couple years now. ITs all just instantaneous gratification which actually is proven to promote depression. It’s becoming to where there is no interaction or emotional connection between friends and family, all just empty posts, likes, and heart emojis to make yourself feel better rather than attempting to reach out to others personally. I’ve seen relationships break up over social media and family members never talk to each other again because of something another individual posted. Between the politics, drama, and lack of privacy leaving Facebook was singlehandedly one of the best things I’ve ever done. If you quit for a week you’ll be amazed at how much time you actually spend on Facebook.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast