Removing the break to change bearings

IMG_5504.JPGIMG_5503 (2).JPGIMG_5502.JPGI have an 04 cougar and have been installing the dexter wet bolt with rubber suspension system. It is going smoothly and I believe this will be a great addition to my trailer. I decided to replace the wheel bearings since I had the wheels off and trailer jacked up. Just ordered some bearings from basscat as the ones I found locally will not match up. Anyway, I am looking for advice on the proceedure for removing (and replacing) the break assembly off the back hubs so I can replace the bearings. Also, I did remove the races from the front hub and now I see that is going to be a little difficult getting the new races back in, especially on the back side. After looking at the races I removed, they looked to be in great shape. I was just wondering if I really needed to remove the races. What am I looking for to indicate whether or not the need to be replaced?

Thank you for any advice.
    Last edited by sodaksker; 11-04-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added pics
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

Usually there’s a couple bolts behind the caliper that holds it on the wheel assembly. With these axles there is a bit of history of the bolts backing out and letting the caliper loose and causing havoc with the wheel and caliper so when they assemble them they apply some thread locker to those bolts. My guess is you tried to remove them and they were difficult? When I removed my calipers I just used a 24” breaker bar and removed the bolts. That said, Loc Tite recommends heat to remove their permanent thread locker. Not sure what is used in the assembly process. Probably should go back with a little threadlocker when you reassemble. Here ya go.

Thanks for that tip. I have yet to locate the bolts that you are referring to, although I have not looked too hard yet. They must be in an awkward spot because i have given it about 20 second look but did not see any bolts. I am guessing I will have to stand on my head to get to them

4. Member
    They are on the BACK of the caliper, one at top, one at bottom. I also had to use a breaker bar to break 'em loose, then used my 18" torque wrench to back them out (the 12" ½" ratchet handle was just not long enough. Once you remove the wheel and look at the back with a good light, you will see 'em.

As far as the races go, many just replace the bearings, so long as there are no chatter marks or scoring / pitting. Best way to get 'em in is to apply a torch to the hub, get it really hot (not glowing of course), and at the same time stick the race in your freezer for a couple of hours. That will make ALL the difference in getting 'em back in... Hot hub, cold race, less interference on the fit.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Thanks for the info guys. I have found them. Looks pretty straight forward once I get them out.
    Thanks again for all the advice.