Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    . . . . . And I see a pretty substantial difference between my bow mount ducer and my shoot thru. Same on last boat.
    You'll never see an image going 60 - 70 mph as good as you will while idling or trolling at 3 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    You'll never see an image going 60 - 70 mph as good as you will while idling or trolling at 3 mph.
    I understand this. I'd like to improve the sonar image I get when at idle. My bow image is much better than my stern shoot thru.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    Well, I told you what to do. Seems like in principal that Wayne agrees. I've never gotten performance that I liked with a through hull. Biggest problem for me is that once you glue it down, you're committed. Can't move, can't adjust. Let alone it eventually loosening. Then two years later, it's obsolete and you have to try to change it.

Mount the proper transducer properly on the transom, and you'll like it. Yeah, you can rip it off if you try, but it's only money.

The most important thing with a shoot-thru is proper testing BEFORE attaching it to the hull and then doing the attaching properly. Anything less may result in less.

It is described in post #2 here:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=172972

Going through that process, you will know where and how well it will perform before you ever adhere it to the hull.
    It is also a good idea to connect the transducer to the display and hold it overboard submerged to make sure it works well before you do the inside the hull testing. Compare how well the wet transducer performs in comparison to a dry one inside the hull. There should be very little signal loss if done correctly.
    It is a very common installation for all brands of sonar equipment and has been for 50+ years.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Came glassed in from the factory. If/when I replace it, I’ve read the how to and know where to find it. Thanks.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12