Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going on 3rd shoot through transducer.

I have 3 helix gen2 units all with updated software. Bow is a 12 g2n di, works great, console ram mount is a 10g2 mega si, works great. Console is a 12chirp 2d GPS. I had a transducer go bad about 12 months. Replaced it 4 months ago and it just went bad. This one is mounted in the bilge for shoot through. I can switch to the 10 transducer and it works fine. Do I just have bad luck or can the unit be causing the transducers to go bad? I will change it out again but it's a pain and if the unit can cause this I would like to get it fixed. Thanks Lee
    Last edited by Intimidator1; 11-03-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Sponsors(Eco Pro tungsten,Lews,Strike King,Gamma,Hayabusa Hooks,Mercury Pro team, Super Stick push poles,VFX Custom Wraps, BuckNBass,TackleWarehouse,Elite Rod Sleeves,Bobs Machine Shop, JB Custom Rods,Reynolds marine, BassFishinElectronics )

2. Member
    When you say it's gone bad what exactly is it doing?

3. Member
    It stopped reading depth. Its stuck on like 2000feet and doesn't move. I tried switching settings from chirp to non chirp, max mode, 83 to 200 hrz, sensitivity front 0 to full. No change. Turned sonar off and on. It I select the 10 mega transducer it starts reading. If I am on the 10 unit and select that transducer, it won't read.
    Sponsors(Eco Pro tungsten,Lews,Strike King,Gamma,Hayabusa Hooks,Mercury Pro team, Super Stick push poles,VFX Custom Wraps, BuckNBass,TackleWarehouse,Elite Rod Sleeves,Bobs Machine Shop, JB Custom Rods,Reynolds marine, BassFishinElectronics )

4. Member
    When you switch transducers are switching it on the network or actually unplugging the transducers and plugging it in the Helix 12 2d unit?

5. Member
    Switching it through network setup in the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator1 View Post
    Switching it through network setup in the unit.
    You are not switching transducers with the Network menu, just the unit that has the sonar data you want to display.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Hello Wayne, I know we messaged before about the last issue and it ended up being the transducer. Just so I'm clear, I have all units connected to the network box. In the network sourse setup screen. If I scroll over to the 2d tab. It shows all 3 transducers and the one that is checked is the one I use for shoot through. I can check any if the other 2 transducers and it will show bottom. So, I am just seeing that units screen and not using that transducer as a source?? I think this might be where I'm getting confused.

Hello Wayne, I know we messaged before about the last issue and it ended up being the transducer. Just so I'm clear, I have all units connected to the network box. In the network sourse setup screen. If I scroll over to the 2d tab. It shows all 3 transducers and the one that is checked is the one I use for shoot through. I can check any if the other 2 transducers and it will show bottom. So, I am just seeing that units screen and not using that transducer as a source?? I think this might be where I'm getting confused.
    The Network menu shows the unit models you can select as the source for 2D sonar. If you choose another unit, the sonar data is processed by the unit you select. Each model also shows what their Connected Transducer setting is and the frequency capabilities.
    You are not selecting a transducer. Transducer selection is in each unit's Connected Transducer menu.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. You described that before but it didn't sink in till now. Thanks again. Guess I have to swap out another in hull transducer.ughh.

10. Member
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. You described that before but it didn't sink in till now. Thanks again. Guess I have to swap out another in hull transducer.ughh.
    If you are going to put in another 2D transducer, consider getting an HW transducer such as the XP 9 HW. It is a High Wide (HW), Low Q, Chirp 2D sonar that will work with your Gen 2 SI console unit since you have the latest updates. Just be sure to select the Built-In HW +MSI setting in your Connected Transducer setting.

Does the HW do any better shooting through the fiberglass?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Does the HW do any better shooting through the fiberglass?
    No, it doesn't "shoot thru" fiberglass any better than the standard HB 2D transducer. It's an improvement over the standard transducer because of its new High Wide, Low Q, Chirp features. Images are improved with better separation.

13. Member
    I gave up over ten years ago on shoot through transducers. Hard to install, at least in my Skeeter. Even harder to get out.

Drill two holes (I think it's 2). Mount a transducer on the transom. Use a board if you're paranoid about holes in your boat. I have an HDSI on the jack plate. 2D on the transom. Y cable. I can see good 2d up to about 50 mph. Never could get what I wanted with a through hull.

Works great. I think the signal is better with the transducer in the water, rather than shooting through fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    No, it doesn't "shoot thru" fiberglass any better than the standard HB 2D transducer. It's an improvement over the standard transducer because of its new High Wide, Low Q, Chirp features. Images are improved with better separation.
    Is the image actually NOTICEABLY better on a shoot thru installation? Can anyone that has actually done the upgrade offer a perspective on the improvement in image quality?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

15. Member
    I have never had a shoot through transducer(Aluminum boats)[not exactly true, Last century I had a glass bass boat and installed 3 different in hull ducers]. However there has to be some loss in signal going through the hull. What you are asking is very subjective and unless someone had one in the same boat as you, I doubt it would be a valid opinion for your situation. I would guess the HW ducer will be better than the regular 2d because it is a better chirp transducer and the updated software puts that to use. It is from a transom mount on my boat. Hope someone has a new Caracal with the new transducer and has tried the regular one also. Maybe just need a couple screen shots so you can see if it looks better than yours.but the install has to be done properly also. Maybe if you get one, get some pics to compare before you install it inside the hull. Good luck Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 11-14-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Heck to get old
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Is the image actually NOTICEABLY better on a shoot thru installation? Can anyone that has actually done the upgrade offer a perspective on the improvement in image quality?
    That can't be answered as you asked it due to the variables.

A shoot-thru installation is never better than a transom installation for image quality for the same frequency. There is always some signal strength loss through an added layer of substance---with a shoot-thru that's two layers (epoxy and fiberglass).
    Quality of the shoot-thru installation affects its performance also.

A Dual Spectrum transducer is better than a Dual Beam transducer with the same installation method for image quality.

A shoot-thru installation is better than a transom installation most of the time for a high performance pad hull fiberglass boat.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I wish there was a way to have a switch so when idling / scanning I could use the sonar from the transom ducer and when running flip to the shoot thru. Best of both worlds.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

18. Member
    I wish there was a way to have a switch so when idling / scanning I could use the sonar from the transom ducer and when running flip to the shoot thru. Best of both worlds.
    A switch would be nice, but I'm not sure you'd really "see" the difference between the two when idling/trolling. You could arrange your Y cable in a position alongside your console where it is very easy to plug/unplug.

19. Member
    The transducer in question is hooked to my 12 GPS sonar. Its main function is for running on plane and its shoot through 2d is ok at best. I use the mega units 2d once I'm at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    A switch would be nice, but I'm not sure you'd really "see" the difference between the two when idling/trolling. You could arrange your Y cable in a position alongside your console where it is very easy to plug/unplug.
    I have to take my graph off of the mount to undo the cables. This wouldn’t be an effective alternative.

And I see a pretty substantial difference between my bow mount ducer and my shoot thru. Same on last boat.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast