2014 fx20 major problem

Gonna do the best i can to describe this to see if anybody else has had or seen an issue like this.

My buddy bought 14 fx20 new off the lot and fished out of it pretty sparingly (140 hours in 5 years). He sold it to another friend of mine (his best friend) a few months ago. Never had a single problem with the boat. Today the new owner had the boat out and was running down our home lake, deep with no stumps or anything submerged. All of a sudden the boat does a quick 180 running in a straight line. No bow hook and absolutely didnt hit anything.

He gets the boat back to the ramp knowing somethings wrong. Puts it on the trailer to find that a 2-3’ long section of the pad is completely ripped down to the glass. Looks like delamenation to me but i just saw pictures. If i had any idea how to post pictures on here id post them. Every bit of the gel is gone is gone right out to the edges of the pad in a weirdly straight line. Hes not sure what to do next aside from contacting the dealer where the boat was purchased it
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    I would get it to the nearest Skeeter dealer asap. Document with pictures, etc. Sounds like a very dangerous situation that Skeeter would want to act upon. Need to document for possible insurance claim as well.

3. Member
    Shouldn’t be an insurance claim as it’s a skeeter problem. There was a post awhile back that a guy had the same issue and he went round and round with the factory. This is something that the boat needs to get scraped and he should receive a new boat. Or try like heck to get one. Once a boat does that in one area then it very well may happen in another and if they just patch it, which is what they will try to do, it will happen again more than likely.

i would tell him to read the warranty if it’s transferable, or if the original owner since they are close may try to be on contact. But he doesn’t need to settle for a sub par patch job by any means

4. Member
    I would document everything in as much detail as possible in case Skeeter doesn't warranty it so you can file a claim.

Unless the 2nd owner transferred tge hull warranty into his name that boat has no hull warranty at this point. Its lifetime of boat for original owner and 10 years for 2nd owner if the transfer process was completed.

The dealer the 2nd owner bought from may or may not help in this situation depending on how they sold the boat. If as is then its gonna be hard to get any assistance. Its a 6 year old boat and gonna be hardpressed to call it a factory defect at this point. First owner may have hit something a couple years back and a trailer bunk board could have hidden damage and it finally showed itself. At this point I don't think the factory defect angle will work.

6. Member
    For a delamination of a boat? I would be dragging that thing through skeeter’s factory. A 6yo boat that’s junk now.

7. Member
    Please give us an update on what the dealer/Skeeter is doing about the issue.

8. Member
    He did have the warranty transferred over. Dropped the boat off at the dealership that originally sold the boat yesterday and now is just waiting.

My original thought was possible damage that was hidden by the bunks or possibly even a blister under the bunk that opened up but it appears the damage is confined between the two centermost bunks. Literally everything down tge middle is ripped to raw glass

9. Member
    This isn’t the first report of the same issue. Tell your buddy to not settle for a patch job as the boat will not run right again

10. Member
    then again it could have been damage that was not seen an the water pressure from running down the lake could have blown that part of the bottom off its odd that it was good for 5 yrs an then all of a sudden it comes loose.

Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    This isn’t the first report of the same issue. Tell your buddy to not settle for a patch job as the boat will not run right again
    Are there links to other reports? Are they on here?

12. Member
    Does anybody know how Skeeter handled the other situations that people have heard about?

13. Member
    They were up at the top no more than 6months ago. And I know one guy ended up getting a layer at is probably still fighting it. If so I don’t think you will hear much on that one. The other, I know skeeter patched his boat and sent it back and then two weeks later it did the same thing. I’m not sure if they sent him a boat or what (I think they did?)

everyone raves about skeeter customer service, your buddy needs to put it to the test. I have seen several and heard of more dealings with skeeter CS that are not good. The fact that you have some say it’s awful and others saying it’s the best thing ever confuses me.

and if anyone thinks that “it’s a 6yo boat and it should just get patched up and insurance called” is crazy. These boats cost 70-80k and if it will only last 6years and then pretty much be scrap after that??? I’d rethink some things.

14. Member

15. Member
    Update: The dealer that sold it originally pulled it off the trailer and took pictures for skeeter. The boat is going back to skeeter to see whats going on. Hes been told its essentially totaled and will have to have a new hull. Im assuming theyll just slap his original top cap back on it. Still not sure if theyll be covering it under warranty or what the deal is until they get it and look at it. Seems like skeeter has handled it in a very timely and acceptable fashion up to this point

16. Member
    Even though its ultimately a skeeter decision, you are probably at the mercy of the dealership. A good dealership will fight with skeeter to get a replacement. Skeeter will 100% want to "fix" it first.

17. Member
    They shouldn’t pull the top cap at all. More than likely be a new hull with his electronics and motor. Or will probably have the option to go new. But hope he gets a new boat. Shouldn’t and wouldn’t settle for less. Good luck to him. More encouraging news than other situations!