New garmin 12”

I’m going to buy anew garmin 12”... I am fishing Okeechobee in January and am intimidated getting around navigating.... I’m used to fishing lakes that you can swim
    scross...Which garmin do I need .. is it easy for an older man?already have panoptics.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well what is your budget??? There is a mid range 12" (Ultra Plus touch screen), then the GPSmap series 12" with buttons or the 8612 (touch screen).......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I want the best... BTW... I like your quote... lol

4. Member
    If you want the best go with the 8612.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Best would be 8612....

6. Member
    Thank you... would you guess that the 8612 had a “channel path” on large waterways!?

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you are talking about channel markers, boat roads, etc. not sure.....it all depends if the lake has been surveyed......do your research prior to navigating the lake so that way you know what to expect.....I personally would not go strictly by what a map on the unit shows....

8. Member
    I would think you would have the same detail on the maps for any of the unit's listed above. Really need more information on what else your looking for the unit to do and your level of using electronics before making a decision on which unit and setup would work best for you. Wide range of price points between these units.

9. Member
    I know you stated you are looking for a 12 but you considered a 16? You state that you would like the best. If your budget allows and space allows, an 8616 may serve you better. I’m getting “older” myself and find that a larger screen is highly beneficial. I have a 12” and the screen splits up pretty good but some of the splits I use get a bit small and hard to see with my older eyes. Still a HUGE improvement over the prior 10”. You’ll be wanting at least a 2 way split while navigating and the 16 gives you a nice big screen to do that and see the detail you’ll need for navigating shallow waters with channels like Okechobe. A good friend guided crappie there and told me stories about getting around the lake. The larger the pic on the screen, the easier it is to interpret so you don’t have to look at it constantly. You can concentrate on driving the boat and visually search for hazards ahead. Keep in mind that maps are only part of the equation and are subject to variables. Common sense, your eyes and a reliable depth sounder are important parts of the equation for finding your way.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

I know you said 12, but the 8610 is the better choice based on screen resolution.

11. Member
    Appreciate the good opinions

12. Member
    Decided to go with 8610 XSV.. should I get the lakevu ultra or just stick work the HD for fishing Okeechobee. Garmin website says they have exclusive mapping of 40 lakes but, can’t find what are the 40 lakes the site speaks of.
    my main concern is navigation on Okeechobee.
    BTW...
    i already have a raymarine axiom 12” which I’m not impressed with at the helm
    Last edited by fluh01; 11-12-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluh01 View Post
    Decided to go with 8610 XSV.. should I get the lakevu ultra or just stick work the HD for fishing Okeechobee. Garmin website says they have exclusive mapping of 40 lakes but, can’t find what are the 40 lakes the site speaks of.
    my main concern is navigation on Okeechobee.
    BTW...
    i already have a raymarine axiom 12” which I’m not impressed with at the helm
    You can go to this link to search what type of mapping Garmin has at each lake:

https://lakes.garmin.com/

For Okeechobee, it was surveyed by a Navionics map crew, and has 1-foot contours. Regarding navigation, marked boat lanes, etc., you can email the Cartography department and ask for Chart screenshots of specific areas you are concerned about.

cartography@garmin.com
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    You can go to this link to search what type of mapping Garmin has at each lake:

https://lakes.garmin.com/

For Okeechobee, it was surveyed by a Navionics map crew, and has 1-foot contours. Regarding navigation, marked boat lanes, etc., you can email the Cartography department and ask for Chart screenshots of specific areas you are concerned about.

cartography@garmin.com
    The Navionics contour map for Okeechobee can be viewed on the Navionics website's Chart Viewer. It will be the same as what is on any map card or the mobile app. It has both map layers------Nautical Charts (Navionics data) and Sonar Charts (unit user sonar longs generated data).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL