Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2016 250 pro xs first start in the cold

I have a 2016 250 opti pro xs, the first start of the day in the cold weather here in Wisconsin my motor struggles to start. It does eventually turn over but throws a low voltage alarm. The starter motor seems quiet as well. Then the rest of the day it starts fine, occasionally throws a low voltage alarm. That being said I’ve checked my battery it is good. I have a big X2 from batteries plus. The same one that’s recommended here on BBC. the motor is on a ranger 520c. Wondering if anyone has any advice where to look next? There is a main switch on the boat that seems kind of cheap to me. Maybe doesn’t let enough current through it? Or could something be up on the engine itself? After it’s started the thing runs fantastic!
    2016 Ranger Z520c/ Mercury Pro XS 250 (2B230637)

what group size is it and what are the CCA and reserve minute specs
    I don't recommend any cutoff switches for the cables that go to the motor
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Clean all your battery terminals until they shine and try it.

4. Member
    I have a 31M batteries plus X2 agm. I think my next step is to eliminate the on/off/jump start switch.

I had a 2016 250 Proxs that would do that too. I never figured it out. I juat put up with it. It was only the very first start. All others were normal too even if you started it up, shut it down then cranked again. The second start was always normal. Make sure you pump the bulb tight too.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 11-04-2019 at 09:59 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Next step would be to verify the CCA of the battery with a high end tester perfomed by service tech, Then amp draw test on the starter, and then Appropriate voltage drop tests on both positive and negative circuits which would tell you if you do have a problem with the switch
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-04-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    I just experienced the same thing yesterday - fully charged battery that's never given me an issue (low voltage alarms on graphs). I did not have any issues starting though. Air Temp was about 45 degrees and water 51 degrees.
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

8. Member
    Checking all connections is first order of business, tight, no corrosion, etc.

One thing that's come up here before regarding battery switches, they are not all created equal, and many times dealers install switches that are NOT rated for full capacity of the battery.

To test, connect your engine leads direct to the battery and see if the problem persists.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wisranger View Post
    I have a 31M batteries plus X2 agm. I think my next step is to eliminate the on/off/jump start switch.
    Bypass that switch- and make sure you have clamp-style terminals on the battery (use the threaded lug on the Clamp-Style terminals for the ENGINE connections).

Built-in screw terminals and Battery Switches are the two most common areas we see problems with current-carrying capacity.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Maybe some pictures of a "properly" wired battery to motor. Inquirying minds would like to see
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

11. Member
    Thanks for the responses guys! Unfortunately the season for me is almost done... this might be a winter project. But if I can get out here yet this fall I will post my results. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

12. Member
    If you decide to replace your battery switch make sure it is rated for the cold cranking amp capacity of your battery. Most dealer installed switches don't even meet engine required minimums.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    Mine has always done this. Even after a new battery. This has been going on for 5 years now. Some one had an idea that it was leaking fuel into the cylinders. Don't know if that is true but I know it is not a battery or connection issue.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

14. Banned
    I thinks it's just the Nature of the Beast. My last two Pro XS (2013 and 2018) have done this on first start-up. Last Saturday before hitting the lake I put my starting battery on a portable battery charger for a half hour to make sure it had a full charge (because the day before it barely turned over and started). Air temp was 35*, water temp was 67*. I wanted to see if I possible had a battery going bad. It takes 5 minuted to get to the ramp and boat in the water. First start and you'd swear the battery was close to dead... Back it off the trailer, tie up to the dock, shut off engine, go park the truck, walk back down, start the engine and it's 100% opposite of the first start just 5 minutes ago... It's the Nature of the Beast... And this is only during the cold weather months, say any temp under 40* at first start up... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    I thinks it's just the Nature of the Beast. My last two Pro XS (2013 and 2018) have done this on first start-up. Last Saturday before hitting the lake I put my starting battery on a portable battery charger for a half hour to make sure it had a full charge (because the day before it barely turned over and started). Air temp was 35*, water temp was 67*. I wanted to see if I possible had a battery going bad. It takes 5 minuted to get to the ramp and boat in the water. First start and you'd swear the battery was close to dead... Back it off the trailer, tie up to the dock, shut off engine, go park the truck, walk back down, start the engine and it's 100% opposite of the first start just 5 minutes ago... It's the Nature of the Beast... And this is only during the cold weather months, say any temp under 40* at first start up... Dan
    Perfectly describes what my 250 ProXS did no matter the battery - Odyssey 2150, Northstar 31 or Lithium. Heck I even disconnected all the switches, connections except for the main wires. No change. My 175 ProXS does not do this.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. Banned
    Forgot to add... I never power anything up before I start the engine the first time. Always start the engine first then power up the graphs... For the rest of the day I've got at least two 10" Birds and whatever else I need to run, be it live wells, running lights and the engine always starts right up, no hesitation what so ever... Dan

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Maybe some pictures of a "properly" wired battery to motor. Inquirying minds would like to see
    See the FAQ Section: "Batteries that Meet the Requirement". Terminals and proper stacking/connection methods are discussed in the FIRST post.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Mine does it first thing too. I always pump the bulb but I do turn my graphs on in the parking lot. It will always start just seems to crank longer that first time in the morning. And it throws the low voltage alarm. Never does it again the rest of the day. I always just thought it was cold and needed to crank more to turn over.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

I have never had a low voltage alarm ever
    Charger is always connected and on when boat is in the garage
    Battery cables have been shortened to minimum lengths (no coils) and the correct end crimped with a hydraulic crimper
    No switches on cables to motor
    Electronics and lights always turned on and setup in the parking lot

Napa grp 31 commercial battery for cranking
    BAT 7234

Never pump the bulb up (boat is used at least once a week) yea I know. The only time I pump the bulb is after fuel system service

I have the notion in my head that if it needs pumping up. It is telling my have a problem that needs servicing.....early warning system,
    this is not recommended , just my way
    Electronics never flicker or reset regardless of pumps running
    Battery is tested monthly
    Gear oil changed twice a year
    DFI oil in the motor, premium plus added to the fuel as well as quickclean, never use stabilizer
    Only put enough fuel in the tanks to assure I have what I need for that day of use, this assures of fresher fuel all the time

Yea it cranks a little slower in very low temps, just keep in mind how thick the gear oil is as well as the lube in the crankcase
    In extreme cold as some of you have, I would consider leaving a heat lamp on the lower unit over night before use and see if that helps
    Very rare in my area for temps to fall into the mid twenty's, mostly mid thirties in mid winter
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-08-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    My 175 ProXS does not do this.
    Nor does my 2.5L only time it did was when the dealer installed 800CCA wet cell was 2yrs old. Replaced with 1150CCA AGM and never again.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast