“Finesse” Jig rod

Hey guys, just wanting some input into what guys are using for throwing “Finesse” jigs. Now I put a quote in because when I’m talking Finesse I’m meaning more of a Mike Iaconelli mini flip 3/8-1/2oz, OutKast Feider stealth Jig in 3/8-1/2, or anything similar. I will occasionally go down to a 1/4oz but very rarely. I am also throwing these mainly in grass (milfoil and coontail) usually anywhere from 12-25ft of water and the weeds are pretty thick up here in MN in those situations. The jigs I use tend to have a little more stout hook vs a standard Finesse Jig but not to the point of being a full flipping style hook on them. I am planning on trying braid this upcoming season so wanting something more along the lines of a mod fast to fast, nothing in the extra fast range.

2. Member
    I throw finesse jigs a lot on a 7’1” mh fast st. Croix but have thought about trying the xf.

3. Member
    I like the 7'3" MH Abu Garcia Veracity, the new version. Great jig rod and won't break the bank.

I see a lot of people using a ZOLO Deputy, which is a 7'1" MH. With braid, you'll have no trouble setting a hook with a lighter rod. Mainly sounds like you need a little backbone to get the fish out though.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn R View Post
    I like the 7'3" MH Abu Garcia Veracity, the new version. Great jig rod and won't break the bank.
    I've been running that new Veracity since July. It's a great full size jig rod, but I would not recommend it for what the original poster is looking for. It's just a bit too much rod for a beefy finesse jig, in my opinion.

I fish a lot of the types of jigs he's talking about, in and around milfoil. The rod I use is a Fantasista Premier 7 foot medium heavy. Balances well, is super sensitive, and has the perfect tip for a 3/8 or 1/2 oz Feider jig.

6. Member
    3/8oz is a finesse jig?! Since when!? Haha.

Any ole 6'10-7'3 MH rod should be perfectly fine. I use a 7'1 St Croix Legend X for 3/8oz jigs.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

I have a Kistler Helium LTA and a KLX, both 7' MH that are both my absolute favorites for lighter jigs and swim jigs. I believe the LTA has been replaced by the Helium 3. However, I suppose they could be a tad light for wrasslin' bigguns out of thick milfoil.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    I've been running that new Veracity since July. It's a great full size jig rod, but I would not recommend it for what the original poster is looking for. It's just a bit too much rod for a beefy finesse jig, in my opinion.

I fish a lot of the types of jigs he's talking about, in and around milfoil. The rod I use is a Fantasista Premier 7 foot medium heavy. Balances well, is super sensitive, and has the perfect tip for a 3/8 or 1/2 oz Feider jig.
    Good point, that Fantasista Premier is also an awesome rod. The sensitivity is unreal.

9. Member
    I use the Zolo Deputy by ALX with a Lew tour mb and 14 lb test. Has just right tip and good back bone.

10. Member
    Dobyns dx 744c

NRX 873.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

The Daiwa Steez AGS 71MH is an incredible lighter jig/texas rig rod that's extremely light weight and extremely sensitive. It's listed as "extra fast" but does not fish like an extra fast when compared to some others out there. I consider it more a true fast action.

If you really wanted to get something that flexes deeper into the blank, and you're running straight braid, the St. Croix Legend Tournament 7'MHMF Spinnerbait Sweeper might be an interesting choice. In addition to being a great spinner bait and chatter bait rod, I've used it quite a bit for tossing ribbit type toads on straight braid and it has done an excellent job. There's no reason it wouldn't be fine for up to at max a 1/2 oz jig with straight braid.

There are so many really nice options out there, its hard to pick just one. I've fished a bunch of them, so as always, feel free to send me a PM or email and I'll be glad to help out.

13. Member
    I wound up purchasing the Daiwa Steez AGS 71MH after Gary from The Tackle Trap highly recommended it for light T-Rigs (1/4 - 3/8 oz). I have also used it for throwing weightless Senkos and Fat Ika's and 3/8 oz jigs. So far I am loving it for those techniques. I use straight braid and it's insanely sensitive. I mostly pitch with it instead of casting, and the tip makes it perfect for pitching. I mainly use it in 8 feet of water or less. I would think it would shine even more in deeper water because of the sensitivity. I haven't used it for anything over 3/8 oz though, so I'm not sure how well it will handle that weight.

14. Member
    you say finesse and I think 3 power. NRX 893 is outstanding. Then you mention 1/2oz and grass. Now I think 4 power.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947