Mercury V8 225 ProXS oil drain valve

S/N 2B637230

Just finished changing the oil and gear lube on the engine.

Upon cleaning up I shined a light into the middle of the oil drain valve. I was surprised to see that it did not close off like a valve normally does. I could see into what looks like a small compartment inside.

certainly water enters that area but I assume it then is able to drain?

Any experts know for sure how this is designed? Just want to make sure that I didn’t do something wrong as I was careful not to turn the valve more than 2.5 times.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You should be able to see well up into the drain fitting (perfectly normal). If oil is not leaking back out of the fitting, it is sealing as designed.

This fitting differs from traditional "plugs" or seat-type valve devices. It utilizes o-rings to complete the seal between different passages which either allow the sump to drain, or close the sump off.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You should be able to see well up into the drain fitting (perfectly normal). If oil is not leaking back out of the fitting, it is sealing as designed.

This fitting differs from traditional "plugs" or seat-type valve devices. It utilizes o-rings to complete the seal between different passages which either allow the sump to drain, or close the sump off.
    Great, good to know. The cavity it leads to allowed it to continue draining a bit after resealing...that's what caused me to shine the light into it to see what I was dealing with. No more drips which means its sealed but it is still interesting to me to see that it is open to water intrusion into that cavity. Must just run out if it does (as the oil did). Thanks again.