Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Numbers increase with phase kits?

Had my 03 250hpdi powerhead completely redone 2 yrs ago. Runs great and solid. Thinking of adding a phase kit from hydrotec. What numbers increases any of you have seen since adding either a phase ll or phase lll kit? Is the money and labor justifed? Like is the increase overwhelming, or would i be better saving it and just waiting to repower? If its a significant increase, maybe i just run this one longer. So just curious on what increases i may actually see and is it worth it? Thanks all!

2. Member
    Heads are your biggest bang for the buck. Reeds help the running quality at idle and are also worth it for that IMHO. BUT you have a engine that is VERY sensitive to fuel quality and adding heads just makes it worse, so if you are a fuel snob like me you wont have a problem. But if you just throw whatever in there and don't keep fresh fuel in the tanks I would not do it. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    I usually use my boat quite a bit in the summer. Average 3 times a week. But with winter here it wont be used for a few months. So fuel gets run thru it regularly. I been mixing fuel (87 & 91) to give it an 89 blend. (Add 10gal of each so i know at a time non ethanol). Im going to start running straight 91 on advice from chris carson. What do you recommend cj1? I dont wanna add something that may cause me problems down the road. So you're thinking just reeds and heads? Anything specific i should watch out for? Thanks cj1!!!!

4. Member
    I run straight non ethanol 90 as it is all I have available to me that does not contain alcohol. I went with HT's rec heads as I will run in Canada and did not want any issues with fuel. Chris is always on with his advise, better to be safe than sorry. When I store my boat for the winter I will add a couple of gallons of 110 just to keep the octane up for spring. It is up to you on how far you want to go with mods but the farther you go the less tolerant the engine becomes with poor fuel, cooling and the like. It is hard for me to spend thousands of dollars for a few MPH. Each hull responds differently. The mods you are talking about could get you 10mph on a Allision 2002 or 2 mph on a hull like mine. What is this on? The guys from HT will get you really close on what you will see from their mods. CJ

5. Member
    An 03 triton tr21 is what its on.
    Last edited by jdwo2212; 11-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.

6. Member
    Purchased a Yamaha HPDI 250 From H/T last year. Completely rebuilt. Head's, Reeds, Tuned Exhaust. During break in, recorded 320hp on there Dyno. This is the 3rd Motor I have had H/T modify, 0-problems. I turn a worked 27 Pitch T-1 Yam prop 6200 and some change, at times bumping Rev Limiter. Whats impressive is the acceleration. I have a 20 second Video that shows the hard acceleration on Speedo. Will send your way if you want to see. Woke my Skeeter up.

7. Member
    What Skeeter?

8. Member
    That'd be cool to see!

9. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    its a pretty good increase a phase II one of the best running combos out there hydro tec has done tons of testing on the kits to make sure they perform they test it on the dyno and back it up on the water...... years ago I started with a phase II it wasnt too long before I went to a phase III +++ tho....lol Hydro tec can make a triton run too they used to be a dealer for them I have driven several of them in the 90s in testing

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

10. Member
    If i just get the kit and have my mechanic (close friend, extremely experienced with high performance motors) install it, is there anything to be concerned about or anything needed extra?

11. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    the only thing that might need adjusted is a a synk and link on the throttle body and a tps adjustment......there is instructions on here somewhere in the yamaha section....you might look at a 6500 limiter too just raising the rpms can good have gains too

12. Member
    Ok thanks. Sounds awesome. We know how to do the tps.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    If i just get the kit and have my mechanic (close friend, extremely experienced with high performance motors) install it, is there anything to be concerned about or anything needed extra?
    Solid mounts will make it easier to drive at speed if you don't have them already. Beings you will have the powerhead off for the tuner. CJ

14. Member
    What exactly are the solid mounts and what are they used for? I was kinda curious about that, but figured my mechanic knows....lol

15. Member
    They replace the rubber mounts under the power head and midway up the lower unit under the black covers. The rubber ones allow some give for vibration isolation but they make a fast boat hard to drive at speed because of the very same reason. The engine will hunt at speed and that is not what you want to keep a boat stable on the pad. Worn out mounts are even worse as you can imagine. HT will know exactly what you need if you ask for solid mounts. If you don't want solids at least put new OEM mounts in while you have it apart. CJ

16. Member
    Full rebuild with 7000 limiter and phase 2. Changed everything from engine height to prop. Went to a 28 bravo from a 29T1. Haven't completely got setup dailed in. Running 1/4" above, 91-92 at 6400 but I'm not sure that's right on. Planning on doing the hit lower unit mod and coming up on the plate some more. Low end is amazing along with fuel economy at cruising rpms. Would recommend to about anybody. Shop that did my work has a bass cat with the 300 hpdi phase 3, lower unit mods, ported with big bore throttle body running mid 90s. Smoking for a big cat...

17. Member
    Wow.

18. Member
    Does the big bore throttle make a big difference?
    Already have heads, tuner, and reeds.

19. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captdwayne View Post
    Does the big bore throttle make a big difference?
    Already have heads, tuner, and reeds.

is it a modded 250 or 300?

20. Member
    It's a 300 powerhead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast