Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20 oz. versus 24 oz. I can't tell difference

As the title states, I ordered some samples of the same color carpet of 20 and 24 oz. To be honest I can't really tell a difference. Is there any compelling reason why I would choose 24oz or 20oz at almost twice the cost? It will be going on a 2014 Bass Tracker 190TX.

Thanks,

Robert

I put Bass Cat 24oz in my boat...but honestly you may never know the difference. The 24 “should” last longer.?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

The 20 oz is easier to work with especially on the lids. The 24 oz is dense and seems to be thicker as you will find when closing the lids with it.

20oz will wear out in about 6 to 7 years. 24 oz should get you to at least 10 years.

My buddy just sold is 95 Eyra with original carpet and seats still in very good condition. One would need to use it an aweful lot to ware 24 oz out in 10 years.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

5. Member
    If the 20oz carpet is shipped free and the 24oz carpet is made by syntec. With heavy use the the 24 oz will last longer, least 8 years and the 20oz non syntec maybe 3 years. You will see considerable wear with the 20oz around the livewell doors and under consoles..

6. Member
    In my experience with two boats that had 24 oz carpet, the difference was huge. The 24 oz carpet DID NOT mat down under your feet up front by the trolling motor. It was amazing. This was a long time ago, late '90's, early 2000's, a lot of manufacturing has changed, so YMMV...

Now what someone else said, there could be major difficulty getting the locker lids to close with it, had a friend retrofit a nitro with it and he had to use a hair shaver to thin the carpet on the sides of the locker lids and it's still hard to open some lids. You may need to get beefier lid locks like the big heavy chrome perko T handles, because the std light wire lid latches will break with hard pulls.

Would like to hear what you end up using and how you liked it later, if you would...? Specs and where you bought the carpet would be helpful. Oh, and always, always AVOID LIGHT COLOR CARPET ! Shows stains SO much more than the darkest dark charcoal you can find. Dark charcoal is my only color I'd pick. That's the most important choice you make!
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

7. Member
    Stick with 20, your lids in the back won’t open or close worth a chit, they will stick. Put some 1/4” padding under the carpet on the front deck, and it will be better under foot than the 24 oz.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

I put 24oz Syntec in mine few months back. Padded front & rear. My lids open & close fine. It has to be put on right for it to work correctly. Don't be misled by these that have to hire a barber. My 24 is excellent under foot with the padding. I don't believe you can get 20oz Syntec but don't know for sure. If you can't tell the difference between 20 & 24oz, you might as well just the the standard 16oz. However, Syntec does make a 16oz called Aggressor Series.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    No matter what weight you decide be sure to get syntec. You wont regret it. Best carpet made. i went w 24 on my Ranger. Lids are tight but tradeoff worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    No matter what weight you decide be sure to get syntec. You wont regret it. Best carpet made. i went w 24 on my Ranger. Lids are tight but tradeoff worth it.
    +1

11. Member
    I ended up going with the BassCat 24oz carpet. With their BlackFriday deal the cost was the same as the Bassboatseats.com carpet. This is a winter project for me.

I believe BassCat carpet is Syntec also.

13. Member
    Basscat sells syntec. Syntec is available in 16oz or 24oz weights.

The 16oz is listed under the Aggressor series & BPS did sell it but don't know if the still do.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Basscat sells syntec. Syntec is available in 16oz or 24oz weights.
    Is there a cheaper place to buy it than basscat?

16. Member
    Message sent

17. Member
    I am currently installing carpet from Ranger Boats on my 2004 Stratos. It is totally different carpet than what was on my boat. The rubber type backing is thicker and heavier making it more difficult to work around all of the inside and outside turns on the boat deck and lids. I am hoping it is going to turn out OK. I do have to put some pressure on the lids to get them closed.

18. Member
    Did you get the 24oz from Ranger? Ranger sells 16oz and 24oz weights in Syntec..

19. Member
    I go the 24 oz from BassCat.

20. Banned
    If its to think around the lids take a hair trimmer around the edges. Ive done this on boats Ive done and works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast