1997 181dc Elite 150efi

My dual cable steering has finally gotten too tough to use safely. So I am looking into hyd. steering. I cant seem to get all the info I need from the local boat shops, They say bring it in and roughly $2200. and we will fix you up! so I want to purchase the complete kit. my questions are, what part# do I need for a sea star complete kit with hoses. And what length of hoses ? Its a 1997 dc 181 with a 150 merc EFI and 6" jackplate. Any help or Info to the best price I will gladly take.

2. Member
    I have the exact same boat as you and the same problem with my steering.

This is what I bought and installed myself (about 3 hours with friend helping). The toughest thing was getting the steering wheel off.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Telefle...D_BwE&click=19

Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    I have the exact same boat as you and the same problem with my steering.

This is what I bought and installed myself (about 3 hours with friend helping). The toughest thing was getting the steering wheel off.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Telefle...D_BwE&click=19
    I also have the same boat and this system. I see your in central Ca. Im in Modesto and use C&C Marine here in town and they have always treated me fairly if your not up to doing the install yourself.

4. Member
    Thanx guys, I"ll check with c&c

5. Member
    I have a 96 181 DC Elite, with a 150 it is recommended that you use this kit, the same one a buddy of mine and me put on both are boats. 16’ hose kit, reinforced Kevlar hoses. Shop around for prices
    https://www.seatechmarineproducts.co...6ft-hoses.html

6. Member
    Thank you!!!! 96 CHAMP That is what I needed.... someone to verify what length hoses, I could not decide between 14' or 16' long. now I have to do some shopping!

7. Member
    Don’t skimp on the kit. Buy the pro kit. Get the 16 ft hoses. I have a 95 181 and a 6 inch plate. A longer hose will reach where a short one won’t. Simply coil any extra length under the dash. Take your time and you can do it yourself and save a bunch of cash. The instructions are very good. As in a earlier post , if you have trouble getting the steering wheel off, whack the shaft with a dead blow a few times while pulling straight back on it and it will come off. Tie a rope around the end of the old cable before you pull it out and use the rope to pull the hoses thru the hull after pulling the cable. Use a sawzall and cut the old cable off at the transom and you won’t have to pull the outboard to get the cable out of the hull. Good luck. You will be very happy that you changed it over!

8. Member
    I feel I should close this thread by THANKING!!!! those who responded to my questions. and that is exactly what I did, bought the Sea Star Pro kit with 16' hoses and installed it myself! (had help pulling hoses and bleeding the system) Actually was not that difficult, went to the lake yesterday and all I wanted to do is drive around! absolutely love the hydro steering. So Thanx to all! love this board.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Very glad it all worked out for you! There are some really great folks here!

Yep, always good when people respond to your post.