Thread: Keel gaurd

Keel gaurd

Are you guys running a keel gaurd and if so what brand? On the fence about installing one we rarely beach the boat I mean rarely. Wondering if you guys think its worth it or not. Thanks!
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    Yes I have one and definitely think they are well worth the money for peace of mind when docking. I prefer the Hamby's brand but some others may be good too.

Having a Keelshield added to mine at the factory.

4. Member
    I installed a KeelGuard about two months ago. So far so good. I don't beach much either but it's an (fairly) inexpensive protective measure in the event you need to beach.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

5. Member
    I wouldn’t own a boat without one. You never know when you will bump a rock under water even with the trolling motor could cause some damage.

6. Member
    When you say rarely it means you do or have beached it. And since you do or even just might beach then they are definitely worth it. You probably don’t need the best most expensive (hambys) but put a keelshield on there for if and when you need to put it on the bank. Never know what hazard may be just under the waters surface.

Ok sounds like i should get one then. How hard are they to install. I usually do everything myself doesnt seem too bad with the right prep and take your time.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    It’s not really hard at all if u follow the instructions that come with the keelshield, there are also instructional videos on utube. The hardest part is handling that long piece of rubber and lining it up straight by urself while laying on ur back under the boat with the trailer kinda being in the way. It’s not impossible by no means to install it by urself (I installed mine solo), but it would have been easier to handle with another set of hands.

9. Member
    I installed mine solo as well. Take your time and make sure to follow the directions for prep. Mine hasn't detached yet so, I recon I did okay with the install. One thing - I ordered the suggested length for my 196 but cut about a foot off of it. I'm not sure it was the correct thing to do but that last foot extended onto the the pad and I didn't like the transition.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

I put a 7’ on both my old 196 and my current 196. Mark it one the hull with a few pieces of masking or painters tape. It makes it easier installing solo. Prep is key. Follow instructions and you’ll be fine. Marking ahead of time gives you confidence you are putting it where you meant to.

Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna order one whenever the boat gets here.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    I've installed them on 3 boats. The first one was mentally tough for me, it is hard to sand/scuff a new hull on purpose...lol. But this is a necessary step to help the adhesive bind to the hull. I agree with what is posted above, use painter tape to outline where it goes. Also a second set of hands helps.
    Brad Krone