Thread: Motorguide xi5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorguide xi5

Anyone running one? Are you happy with the performance? From what I've read the wireless foot pedal takes a little getting used to.

2. Member
    I'm on my 3rd year with the Xi5. The foot pedal does not take "getting used to". What the foot pedal takes is the acceptance that it's limited in it's capabilities. In it's current form it will never be an Ultrex foot pedal or a cable steer foot pedal. It is a "bump steer" form of aiming the trolling motor. Sometimes you get it it to point "exactly" where you want it to - sometimes not. You can fight it, cuss it, change the springs or whatever else you want to try but - it's still gonna be the Xi5 foot control that came with the motor in the beginning. I grimace when I know I have to execute some precise steering to recover a hung up lure but at least I'm not screaming, cussin', and otherwise putting on a display of extreme disappointment - like in the early days.

3. Member
    I've been using running Xi5 for over 5 years. I put the foot pedal aside and used only the remote, more functions are at your finger tips using the remote.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    I'm on my 3rd year with the Xi5. The foot pedal does not take "getting used to". What the foot pedal takes is the acceptance that it's limited in it's capabilities. In it's current form it will never be an Ultrex foot pedal or a cable steer foot pedal. It is a "bump steer" form of aiming the trolling motor. Sometimes you get it it to point "exactly" where you want it to - sometimes not. You can fight it, cuss it, change the springs or whatever else you want to try but - it's still gonna be the Xi5 foot control that came with the motor in the beginning. I grimace when I know I have to execute some precise steering to recover a hung up lure but at least I'm not screaming, cussin', and otherwise putting on a display of extreme disappointment - like in the early days.
    Thanks for the reply. This is the real world info in needed.

5. Member
    How long are the batteries lasting in the foot pedal?

6. Member
    Which has better quality? Xi5 or Terrova?

7. Member
    Ok so I'm the guy you need to hear from. I was a tried and true MK guy. I love MK trolling motors!! with hat said I have a Mg XI5 80 # on my bass boat. The first three trips out I absolutely hated it and would have sold it for $500 having paid $1400 . I learned more and more about it and practiced and now I absolutely love it !! you literally have no need to use power poles !! I sold mine and don't miss them a bit. When I sight I use anchor mode and it's so silent no fish are spooked. When I launch I drop to TM down and use the hand held unit to steer it out and anchor while I park the truck . Heading lock is an absolute game changer. I used the same batteries all summer on the foot peddle but honestly the hand held almost makes the foot peddle not needed. I would absolutely recomend it and certainly over the Terrova.

8. Member
    I fish in boats with both a Xi5 and a Terrova. I would be hard pressed to say there is any quality difference.

The Xi5 is in my boat. Have not had any issues with the motor. Had an issue with the Pinpoint gateway that connects it to a NMEA 2k network, but a replacement gateway/cable solved that. Otherwise, no issues at all. It has been great and the Lowrance integration has been very nice to have.

The boat I fish on with the Terrova works great too. it is an older model, so the GPS anchor is not as accurate as the Xi5 or a newer Terrova.

All that being said, I am most likely going to go to an Ulterra this spring. Auto-deploy would make my life a lot easier. And frankly, I am pretty disappointed in Lowrance lately.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipNfrog View Post
    How long are the batteries lasting in the foot pedal?
    I'm ~two years on the ones I have in there now. I've never had problems because of low/dead batteries. I really can't say how long they last. When I first got the Xi5 I "tried" to remember to shut the foot control off as a way to extend battery life. After countless time of failing to "remember" I realized that battery life was a non-issue. I'll be changing the ones that are in there now just because. Occasionally, once or twice a year, for whatever reason the steering motor and the foot pedal quit talking to each other. The first time it happened I thought the batteries had died so I changed'em on the water. That didn't resolove the problem. Unplugging and plugging the trolling motor did fix it though which told me the problem wasn't in the foot pedal. Now that I know what the solution is it's no big deal to unplug, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Before I knew what the problem was there were times I'd just use the remote until I had time/opportunity to fix it.

The heading lock and anchor lock are pretty flawless. [GoTo cursor or way point] is sorta ok. It gets close but, for me, does not get on top of the way point icon. The jog function works well and can put you on top of the way point after [GoTo] gets you close. There's nothing to melt in the motor as in the brush card. This is important if you want to run your trolling motor on high for extended periods of time. The Xi5 weighs a fraction of what the Ultrex or the Ghost weigh. Some say stowing the Xi5 is a pain. I'm 69 and have no problems with it.

To correct something I said earlier.... I'm not at 3 years with this trolling motor. In Jan. 2020 I'll be starting my 5th year with the Xi5. Purchased it in January 2016.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 11-04-2019 at 04:51 AM.

10. Member
    Both brands have their "bad apples", so you will find people whom are very happy, people who hate one (or both) and offcourse most guys are probably "just fine with either". I`m one of the unlucky ones, my Xi5 is beeing repaired for the second time in 4,5 years now due to issues with the internal GPS-dongle.

I have the interface to NMEA2000 and can control the Xi5 from both up front and the console through my Lowrance-units. I have used the pedal once just to test it (not my cup of tea) and hardly ever use the remote anymore. (On the last two trips out I didn`t even bring the remote) I just use one of my HDS-units to control the Xi5, and I must say I like that interface a lot.

Old screenshot from my HDS Gen 2, with todays touchscreens using the interface is a breeze.

11. Member
    I love my Xi5, but I don't love the foot pedal. I too have the full networked interface with my Lowrance units, so I am able to control from either unit. Also I have the remote, and that seems to be my go to method of controling the motor. I am committing myself to mastering the foot pedal, though. Trying to land a fish and control the handheld remote is not optimal. As for the anchor lock and heading lock, I had some problems initially with the gps acting funny and causing the motor to wrap the cables. Once I opened up the head, separated the power and gps cabling, and then put it all back together, things have been perfect since. Can't say enough good things. And finally, it seems to be very efficient on power usage. I have no problem running an entire day with moderate to heavy usage.

12. Member
    I also have the Lowrance interface. For me it’s a must have. In “Heading Lock” it’s the only way I have of controlling speed. It’s also my preferred method of using the “jog” feature. Easier for me to reach down and touch the screen than it is to grab the remote. Plus it’s easy to put it in standby mode.

13. Member
    Sounds like an assemble issue by manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
    Once I opened up the head, separated the power and gps cabling, and then put it all back together, things have been perfect since.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Sounds like an assemble issue by manufacturers.
    Absolutely, but it is a quite common one.

15. Member
    2 years with my Xi5. Mine is paired to a Lowrance Elite Ti on the bow.
    Once I figured out that most of the problems I was having were my fault (settings etc) it's been pretty bullet proof. So there is a learning curve.
    Fishing is so much more enjoyable with it. No longer have to fight a cable steer when it's windy etc.
    "Fish On" or want to re-tie, have lunch, take a break... just hit anchor. No more worries about blowing up on the bank.
    Very seldom use the foot pedal. I have routes pre-programmed on my Lowrance for most of the lakes I fish...just tell the Xi5 to follow a route and off you go.

16. Member
    Thanks for the info guys

xi5 for 2 yrs now. The foot pedal to me is a use it to learn it. as stated you learn to "bump" steer it but I use it all the time. The interface of the XI5 and the Gen 3 Lowrances are sweet. It is the best thing going. the Hand held is nice and I use it a lot during bedding to scan the shallows.

I do have the new TOUR PRO MG coming and will most likely sell the XI5 to a striper guide or a Pontoon owner.
    I still have a LIKE NEW 109 Tour as a back up. I have liked it and has been very dependable. The pedal is not a cable steer but to me its not a issue
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

18. Member
    Hey all, I was just having this conversation with my father in law last night.
    He recently traded his Gen 1 Terrova for an Ulterra, and loves it...he is 77, so he enjoys the auto stow and deploy.
    What he mentioned was that the latest MK Spot Lock is way better than the old stuff.

Now, for my question: I have a couple $k Burning a hole in my pocket. Which should I buy, an Xi5 or the Newest Terrova?

Currently have the same One Generation Old (Original Spot Lock technology) Terrova.
    I like the motor, but the Spot Lock is not the best, its more like area lock.
    I have 2 Lowrance HDS Carbons on board -- Not inclined to switch to Bird.
    I have mastered the MinnKota Remote, and it is all I use to control my TM, the foot pedal isn't even attached, its stowed in a storage locker on my boat as a backup.

So, is the Xi5 Spot Lock on par with the newest MinnKota Spot Lock?
    I could see advantage for the integration w/ Lowrance.
    I don't like the curved base that hangs over the bow on the MG, anyone have any issues catching that on a winch or roller on the ramp?
    I definitely don't need the Ulterra, I am perfectly happy with manual Trim/Stow/Deploy

Need some input...going to do something in the spring...figure I can still get a few c-notes for my Used Terrova.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

19. Member
    Love my xi5 didnt like the petal at first but got tired of having to grab the hand held to move. after loseing a foot pedel overboard sinks like a rock, i was able to find lighter springs at the hardware and replace the stiff factory ones so you dont have to stand on the petal and bump steer you can relax and tap to move more controllable.

20. Member
    PS the thing needs a handle on the head too slick to grab to stow and an extenion to the foot release. Going to add a kayak type handle when out of warrantee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast