Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Read this thread about my motor, same basic concern I had but not really an issue.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....d+temp+leached
    Good info. I assume the gauge is not needed at all even to tell if the motor has warmed up - if you have strong tell tale, the thermostats are open = warmed up motor.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Keep in mind- thermostats really only control water flow at IDLE (once you begin to plane off, the poppet valve opens allowing a straight-through flow of water/coolant). After the poppet opens... the thermostats are basically just along for the ride.
    More good info. Totally different than the v4 omc I run on my jet boat where the poppets and thermostats are each tied to a bank of cylinders and if the thermostat sticks, it overheats
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

3. Member
    Do you have a water pressure gauge? That is one of the best tools your motor can have. It can help indicate a water pump that is starting to wear out, can identify stuck thermostats, and a malfunctioning poppet valve. All this can be at least partially or sometimes completely indicated by the pressure reading.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    Bringing this one back from the dead. Motor seems to run good now that I reset the carb floats, and I discovered the poppet valve was sticking and was double gasketed. Would this cause the top piston to melt down?

2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

5. Member
    If the popper sticks closed or partially closed it will not allow enough water through at higher rpms to fully cool the motor. That COULD be a cause of the bad piston.

the double gasket I would think would block the water flow when the poppet was pushed open, a bad thing.
    Last edited by leonreno; 02-25-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Member
    ^^^^^ +1 somebody been adding parts
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wow! Guess that must have been "if one is good, two must be better" theories.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Well it was fun working on this thing. After still getting an overheat and intermittent loss of power on cyl 1, I pulled the head and gasket and found a crack. I believe I'm just moving on and finding another motor.

2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

9. Member
    I know where there is a block that exactly like you need don't know if he will sell or not but I can find out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123