New Suzuki Lower Unit for the 150SS and 200SS

Saw this on Suzuki's FB page today. I guess they are using the same lower unit and gear size, going from a 2.5:1 to a 2.08:1 for the 150 & 200SS models. Plus they are coming out with new water grip props as well for these motors. Was really hoping for new lower unit for the 250SS that gives us more top end.

https://www.facebook.com/SuzukiOutbo...5590217737381/
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

2. Member
    According to the website the 250SS has the 2.08 gear case already or were you looking for something else?
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

3. Member
    There were rumors that the 250SS was getting a new gear case design similar to the Mercury torque master to help achieve higher top end speeds. That is all.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    Anyone know what those new lower units would cost? I have a DF200SS.

5. Member
    I called my Suzuki dealer and he is checking on cost for me. I will post as soon as he gets back to me.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

6. Member
    Asked my dealer he said around $3500. Guess we bought a hair to early. But then we know what we have is dependable. Don't know if we would have some growing pains with the new set up, as like with new merc.

7. Member
    The DF200SS technically isn't new right? It's just a DF200A with a different finish. Unless you're saying the DF200A is new, i thought it was at least a few years old.

It's a little bit of a bummer we have the lower gear ratio, but it's nice to have options, and even though it's hard to prop this forum has proved there are some solid options.

8. Member
    No , was stating that the new lower unit and gearing in the new announcement of gear ratio for 200ss will be tested with new buyers. What we have now is the "A" and has been found reliable. Talking to a couple different prop guys including Mark Croxton, inferred to the set up we have has different type of interconnect between gearing and prop shaft that makes it stronger than others. That what I gathered from the conversation. Mark said he has spoken to Suzuki reps about the issue and was told they may be lowering ratio to match merc or other. Mark wasn't so sure it would be a good idea because what they have in our 200 is a stronger mechanism. That's what I surmised from our conversation. I really don't know a hill of beans though about the mechanics of all of it

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohio View Post
    No , was stating that the new lower unit and gearing in the new announcement of gear ratio for 200ss will be tested with new buyers. What we have now is the "A" and has been found reliable. Talking to a couple different prop guys including Mark Croxton, inferred to the set up we have has different type of interconnect between gearing and prop shaft that makes it stronger than others. That what I gathered from the conversation. Mark said he has spoken to Suzuki reps about the issue and was told they may be lowering ratio to match merc or other. Mark wasn't so sure it would be a good idea because what they have in our 200 is a stronger mechanism. That's what I surmised from our conversation. I really don't know a hill of beans though about the mechanics of all of it
    Gotcha thanks for the explanation. When you said mark spoke to suzuki reps about "the issue", I assume "the issue" is these motors being hard to prop? I'll take the stronger gear connection for sure.

10. Member
    Reviving this yet again. Has anyone ran the new lower units with the updated gear ratios? For whatever reason all the Suzuki dealers I contacted don't have any info. My local one just told me not to do it, but didn't give any good reason besides warranty considerations.

11. Member
    It seems to me a slower moving prop would be more efficient than a faster prop due to cavitation and bubble issues associated with blade speed. I had my 175 DF lower unit worked on last year And the gears are massive.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 05-21-2020 at 05:54 AM.