Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    I used to work in a door shop. Chances of getting all American doors are slim. Most of the wood jambs and casing come out of central or south America, hinges and other hardware out of China. We used Jeldwen interior hollow and solid core slabs pretty sure they were made in America. A lot of the French, pantry, and louvered slabs we used were from China.
    Jeld-Wen is one of those companies where you MAY get American made. It entirely depends on the product. IE: Most of their double hung windows are made here - their awning windows are made overseas. Some of their doors are made here, some overseas, depends on what you order. You really cannot be sure until the product arrives and you have the product codes.
    I could not find an answer either way on their interior doors. It is entirely possible they are made here. They are what I am using because they happen to have the style I want. :)
    To Jeld-Wen's credit they list where each window is manufactured and explain the prefixes etc on their product codes (way down deep in their documentation)- I could not find this info for the doors though.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
    Just want to point out that just because something says "Made in America", it also doesn't always mean it was made in the USA. Canada is also "North America" and Mexico/South America is also "America", although likely not your or my definition of America....these corporations will stop at nothing to misrepresent/mislead the consumer
    Yes sir, the same corporations that received that nice fat tax break...

Quote Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
    Just want to point out that just because something says "Made in America", it also doesn't always mean it was made in the USA. Canada is also "North America" and Mexico/South America is also "America", although likely not your or my definition of America....these corporations will stop at nothing to misrepresent/mislead the consumer
    all of my searches have been done using USA, not America

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post

Any Amish in your area build custom interior doors....???
    That is a good option...and when we get there I may look into it.
    Or I may just build them myself
    Right now I am spec'ing Jeld-Wen because they have about a 50/50 chance of being made here and they have the style doors we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Astyle954 View Post
    If you want the luxury of truly American made. You should accept the fact you are going to pay for it.
    agreed - within reason. There are some things though that will just have to sacrifice because the American made product just doesn't make sense (financially). I can buy architectural quality interior doors american made all day long - but does anyone need a $600 interior door? Electrical equipment and finishing is another - I can buy american made panel, but the breakers are not made here. I can buy American made lighting fixtures, but almost all are specialty items and or handmade - gorgeous and well built I will give you - but $400 for a sconce light just doesnt make much sense to me.

I went to an Amish place that sold furniture to buy a TV stand, and it was imported. I bought it though.

7. Member
    [QUOTE=brnzbaklvr;10624486
    Any Amish in your area build custom interior doors....???[/QUOTE]

Yes we have one, he also builds cabinets and tables.

8. Member
    Built high End furniture My whole life last place I worked. frames come from India cloth came from China springs came from China.
    They finally pushed out Americans and hired illegals but it still has stamp proudly made in America.
    I never looked for the made in America anymore buy what you want.

The sad part is, there are still people out there thinking that manufacturing will eventually come back to the US. We will never get back what we’ve lost. I was buying some stuff for my home recently and it’s almost impossible to find stuff made here.

10. robdy72
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Look at the Mercedes Benz vans "built" in South Carolina.....They were assembled over seas...Partially disassembled and then reassembled in the US to avoid tarriffs....And Mercedes called them "Made in the US"

Any Amish in your area build custom interior doors....???
    This happens with a lot of products that say made in USA.

11. Member
    My boat winch broke about a week ago. All I needed was one small gear to repair it. I went to the manufacturers website. The factory was closed in October this year "due to foreign competition undercutting price....". It's not the first U.S. winch company to fold this year. I would have bought a U.S. made part or entire winch from them.
    The reviews on offshore winches reliability are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Yes we have one, he also builds cabinets and tables.
    There is an Amish craft shop out in Napanee - they guy does really nice work and is one of the nicest/funniest people I have ever met. We already plan on buying a couple furniture pieces from him. He makes actual honest to God Hoosier cabinets - not the pseudo Hoosier cabinets you find other places - and they are pretty affordable.
    I am sure there are several around - but this guy is just fun to be around. I do not know his name but I know it is not Gunter - because he wears a name tag that says "No, my name is not Gunter".

There was a local place that it sold only amish handcrafted furniture but the word got out they was importing in China made and they only put together the stuff

14. Member
    The "Buy American" movement was created by well-meaning protectionists who never really used their brains and failed to see the benefits of free trade. When pushed on the matter, they often resort to patriotic claims when it's actually the opposite since it reduces american manufacturers incentive to get better and cheaper.
    But then again, I'm a capitalist. Globalization is good because it encourages competition. If Americans only buy American products, there is no incentive (competition) to make them better or cheaper. Why encourage mediocrity buy telling American companies you will buy their stuff even if it sucks?
    Last edited by toofy; 12-25-2019 at 10:24 PM.

15. Member
    I remember a time when, we saw something that said made in Japan it was pure junk. Not anymore. If it's made in Japan it's top shelf. It's been quite a few years ago, my company supplied us with heavy cotton work gloves. One day I saw a tag inside that said made in Vietnam!! That just blew me away. Over 58k men and women died, so we can pay for their business!? B.S.is what I call it. Sorry but I can't help it.

16. Member
    Try Northern Door made in Wisconsin We had six panel oak doors from them put in our house. Beautiful doors!

17. Member
    https://www.coxinterior.com/

Cox interior used to have a plant in KY. I haven’t drove to Campbellsville in a while, but I bet it’s still there.

Even if every manufacturer wanted to bring the jobs back, they would (are) finding that we have a huge problem finding qualified help. My wife doesn’t care where it comes from, I do. That makes for interesting shopping LOL.

18. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    same thing with fishing rods.
    I won't attempt to speak for the whole rod industry. But can tell you that ALX Rods out of Aiken, SC is a great example of a rod builder that uses many components made in the USA and ALL rods are hand assembled and finished in the Aiken plant. The top of the line ENOX series and Zolo series uses blanks that are made in the USA for example. Quality rods with a warranty to back them up!! Visiting the shop in Aiken frequently, I can tell you that BBC member Alex (cidgrad) is personally involved and hands on in the finishing of almost every rod that ships out of the door.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    There is an Amish craft shop out in Napanee - they guy does really nice work and is one of the nicest/funniest people I have ever met. We already plan on buying a couple furniture pieces from him. He makes actual honest to God Hoosier cabinets - not the pseudo Hoosier cabinets you find other places - and they are pretty affordable.
    I am sure there are several around - but this guy is just fun to be around. I do not know his name but I know it is not Gunter - because he wears a name tag that says "No, my name is not Gunter".
    Yeah they are all good folk's to be around. Man Im talking about is in Greentown. Builds anything you ask for, and its a beautiful piece of work. Last I was at his shop, he had just finished an oak kitchen table. Darn thing must have weighed 200#

20. Member
    [QUOTE=brnzbaklvr;10624486]Look at the Mercedes Benz vans "built" in South Carolina.....They were assembled over seas...Partially disassembled and then reassembled in the US to avoid tarriffs....And Mercedes called them "Made in the USA

I am sure your info from Michigan is correct and up to date but when tariffs changed several years ago Mercedes stopped importing kits to SC and started building vans, not cars, in the SC plant from scratch, if there is such a thing..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast