KeelGuard coming off

Last June after checking with KeelGuard about putting their product on my Alweld tin, I was told that as long as it is a standard welded keel not riveted no problem installing a keelguard. So last June had my dealer install one and luckily I filled out the warranty card, because last week I looked under the boat and about half way down, one side had pulled away. Dealer said wow, first one I've ever seen come loose, no problem, covered under warranty. So KeelGuard sent them a replacement. Went to pick up boat yesterday and when I went to check their work, the other side had already come loose. So dealer still has boat. Anyone else have problems like this, any suggestions for working with my dealer or KeelGuard. I'll post a pic later today. Thanks
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

2. Member
    Sound like an install problem if it's happening again.

3. Member
    Saltwater use?

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We pride ourselves on our premium products and excellent customer service. We do have a lifetime warranty on the KeelGuard (the product is warrantied). It's very unusual that the actual product fails or is defective. Installation is where issues can arise. By all means, we are not accusing anyone of incorrect installation. However, the prep is very crucial and steps need to be followed. Instructions are included in all packaging and listed on our website https://keelguard.com/wp-content/the...stallation.pdf. If the four steps (etch-clean-prime-apply) are followed, there should not be any issues with bond.

As you know aluminum boats usually have a raised, welded keel protector and/or raised rivets. The 3M-Pressure Sensitive adhesive has no problem adhering to aluminum/tin. If a KeelGuard is applied over a welded keel/rivets that protrude from the hull surface more than 1/8" (roughly), the bond can be compromised. Although, we've seen situations where the KeelGuard does easily conform over welds/rivets and has achieved a "full surface bond." The acrylic foam core between the guard itself and the adhesives is what allows this to happen. If your welded keel protector protrudes more than that estimated 1/8" or so, air pockets may form between the gaps of the hull and tops of the welds/rivets. In this example it's safe to assume that your full surface bond would not be present, creating issues with strength.

Texoma, thank you for bringing up saltwater use. We have numbers of customers who use our products in saltwater activities (bay boats, flats, center consoles, leisure, rec, etc). Again, as long as prep/placement is done correctly, there should not be any issues. If you have experienced something we would love to address it. We take care of all our customers and want you to be happy. Please do not hesitate calling our customer service team at (801) 334-5335 for any questions or concerns. Thank you for creating this thread and addressing your problem.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaware KeelGuard View Post
    We are sorry to hear about your experience. We pride ourselves on our premium products and excellent customer service. We do have a lifetime warranty on the KeelGuard (the product is warrantied). It's very unusual that the actual product fails or is defective. Installation is where issues can arise. By all means, we are not accusing anyone of incorrect installation. However, the prep is very crucial and steps need to be followed. Instructions are included in all packaging and listed on our website https://keelguard.com/wp-content/the...stallation.pdf. If the four steps (etch-clean-prime-apply) are followed, there should not be any issues with bond.

As you know aluminum boats usually have a raised, welded keel protector and/or raised rivets. The 3M-Pressure Sensitive adhesive has no problem adhering to aluminum/tin. If a KeelGuard is applied over a welded keel/rivets that protrude from the hull surface more than 1/8" (roughly), the bond can be compromised. Although, we've seen situations where the KeelGuard does easily conform over welds/rivets and has achieved a "full surface bond." The acrylic foam core between the guard itself and the adhesives is what allows this to happen. If your welded keel protector protrudes more than that estimated 1/8" or so, air pockets may form between the gaps of the hull and tops of the welds/rivets. In this example it's safe to assume that your full surface bond would not be present, creating issues with strength.

Texoma, thank you for bringing up saltwater use. We have numbers of customers who use our products in saltwater activities (bay boats, flats, center consoles, leisure, rec, etc). Again, as long as prep/placement is done correctly, there should not be any issues. If you have experienced something we would love to address it. We take care of all our customers and want you to be happy. Please do not hesitate calling our customer service team at (801) 334-5335 for any questions or concerns. Thank you for creating this thread and addressing your problem.
    And now you have your answer. Thanks for the response

6. Member
    The pic I had taken was too dark to post, but the second KeelGuard loosened up in the same area as the original. My dealer eventually got the KeelGuard to stick using a Loctite product. Fished a tourney today and all looks good. I also called my Alweld dealer in Alabama (which I should have done before I put the first one on) and he confirmed that KeelGuards can be a problem because of the strake design.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

7. Member
    Weather is a big issue also when applying the keel-guard. It is not going to bond properly in cold weather. Mine came off on my Norris Craft. The biggest problem was getting the old one off & all the glue off. I waited tell mid summer of the following year because we had a cold snap & it never really got hot again until then.

RichW, strake design can be an issue if the curves are too complex as your dealer mentioned. The KeelGuard is fairly pliable, but too much bend may cause puckering, sacrificing full surface bond. Norris Craft 1, you are correct with cooler temps. Hull temperature needs to be between 65 and 100 degrees fahrenheit. Thanks for the input.