Thread: Texas rig rod?

Texas rig rod?

This is hopefully the last upgrade for a few years...
    I'd like to find some candidate rods that work for the conditions I fish in:

• T-rigged 6" or 7" worm or Beaver with 3/16" bullet weights
    • 25# braid with a 15# fluoro leader, on a 200 size Curado.
    • Rarely under 3' (laydowns, only). We hardly get any matted vegetation, and punching is an anomaly.
    • Usual targets are scattered emergent grass to 6'-8' (pads, cabbage, milfoil) and boulders.
    • Out to about 14' on bottom grass and up to 20' on rocks.
    • Water visibility is generally in the 10'+ range, so long casts can be called for.
    • Currently using a light flipping/carolina stick, but it doesn't have enough tip to be forgiving on close targets/pitching. Love the backbone though.
    • Prefer 7' or longer

Previously used an older (black) Cabelas XML (w/ mono) and liked it, until I took the tip off with a sinker.

Thanks!

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

ALX Rods ZOLO Deputy is my suggestion. It's a MH, so a little lighter than what you are currently throwing. However, it's going to pitch that lighter weight easier and with the braid, you'll have no issues with a hookset. I really like this rod for my texas rigs, and I'm setting up very similar to you.

The rod is 7'1", so right in that range you are looking for. It also has some great reviews by our customers for exactly what you are doing.

If you want to talk details, give us a shout - 866-628-5052 x1. Im here M-F 8-530EST and can walk you thru the finer details of the rod.

The Deputy is an outstanding general purpose rod. Great sensitivity and mid range power allow the Deputy to be a jack of all trades. Being able to fish a spinnerbait in the morning and then a texas or carolina rig in the afternoon is extremely popular with coanglers. The Deputy is a workhorse rod and you’ll find yourself needing more than one.

• Line: 10 - 18#
    • Lure: 1/4 - 1 oz
    • Length: 7'1"
    • Power: Medium Heavy
    • Action: Fast
    • Average Rod Weight: 4.3 oz
    • Handle Length: 10" (End of butt to back of reel seat)
    • Number of Guides: 10

3. Banned
    Dobyns 704c, nice versatile rod.

4. Member
    What price range are you looking at? There are good options at several different price points.

I switched to a 7' 1" Medium St. Croix Legend Tournament rod for plastics. Perfect for 3/16-5/8 ounce weights, and smaller plastics like 6-7" worms or creature baits. Rated for 10-17# line and 1/4-5/8 ounce weight range.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I use 7' rods for T-Rigged worms because they move more line when setting the hook. Gotta drive the hook through the worm as well as the fish. A firm action is mandatory, and a quick tip is my preference. There are numerous quality rods out there that fit this need. If you have a rod builder that you work with that is a plus ... provided they will build what you want and not what they think you need.

7. Member
    Many rods will meet your needs and it depends on budget. I can only comment on what I own and fish. For years, I fished 6'8MH rods for the rigs you suggest. Recently I have moved to all 7'3 to 7'5 because the rods have gotten lighter over the last 20 years and because the amount of vegetation if fish has gone from light to moderate/heavy. Not talking matts which I fish too. I've also moved to 4 power rods because I can generally present the lure in your exact weight ranges great with a Shimano Met XG's.

I most often fish NRX 894's but sounds like the NRX 873 may have all the power you need. Kistler Helium 7'3H is another good choice. Sensitivity in all is top notch. Both are as fast as possible and keep fish buttoned up.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    What price range are you looking at? There are good options at several different price points.
    If I can find the right stick for up to $200, I'll be happy.

I hit a couple shops this week, looking for a jerkbait rod (no luck, ended up ordering a Lew's). The store I had the most hope for looked like they were closing their doors, and had nothing but low end stuff on the shelves.

For M&MH, fast rods in the 7'-7-6" range, the local Bass Pro Shops has
    Two St Croix Mojo rods in stock - MJC71MHF MJC71MF. They have one Avid - AXC74HF
    In the Revo Ike series, they have just the MIKEC70-5
    They carry just the Duckett DFTR73MH-C
    JM Platinum - JMP71MTF JMP71MHTF
    Carbonlite JCT70MTF JCT70MHTF JCT76MHTF
    That's pretty much it, for product I can see/touch.

Dick's has nothing.

The one listed Dobyn's dealer appears to be primarily a gun shop, just sent them a email via their webpage to see if they stock the 703C or 704C.

I've heard lots of support for the ALX products - alas no dealers within a 7 hour flight:(

I sure wish Northern Bass Supply didn't close their doors back in '15:(

9. Member
    I've got a couple St. Croix Mojo Bass rods, picked up at a local pawn shop. Spinning and casting, with reels, $100 for the pair. Have one in the boat, doesn't get much use. Same with the Carbonlite, Lews and such.

Duckett is what we've gone to, Micro Magic Pro though. I'd look at the White Ice II. There are a lot of different solutions in that line, M, MH, H, moderate to fast all lengths. Problem is... finding one in a store is one thing, finding the whole selection is more like gold plated hens teeth.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

10. Member
    Size my rod with hook type and how beefy the worm hook is.
    Grab a setup for typical bass size most likely to get ahold of.
    If I’m using braid the a rod with little more give on tip backbone.
    Find a Falcon cara angler of the year.
    If I have to turn and move a bass fast I go with Falcon cara Amalstad.

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    If I can find the right stick for up to $200, I'll be happy.

I hit a couple shops this week, looking for a jerkbait rod (no luck, ended up ordering a Lew's). The store I had the most hope for looked like they were closing their doors, and had nothing but low end stuff on the shelves.

For M&MH, fast rods in the 7'-7-6" range, the local Bass Pro Shops has
    Two St Croix Mojo rods in stock - MJC71MHF MJC71MF. They have one Avid - AXC74HF
    In the Revo Ike series, they have just the MIKEC70-5
    They carry just the Duckett DFTR73MH-C
    JM Platinum - JMP71MTF JMP71MHTF
    Carbonlite JCT70MTF JCT70MHTF JCT76MHTF
    That's pretty much it, for product I can see/touch.

Dick's has nothing.

The one listed Dobyn's dealer appears to be primarily a gun shop, just sent them a email via their webpage to see if they stock the 703C or 704C.

I've heard lots of support for the ALX products - alas no dealers within a 7 hour flight:(

I sure wish Northern Bass Supply didn't close their doors back in '15:(
    No need for a flight when shipping on a ZOLO is free when you go direct and returns are also...
    Be happy to help match you up to the right rod so you're confident you are getting the right model to begin with. No store will ever be able to match the knowledge of the folks that build and fish them, regardless of where you purchase. We love helping people find the right rod!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    N shipping on a ZOLO is free when you go direct and returns are also...
    Great policy - I gotta learn to read the fine print! I'll follow up on this ASAP