Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I think NRX 873 is as sensitive as the 894 I used to have. That being said it’s a great rod but others have caught up. got a cpl of Xtasy’s from Gary and never looked back. I have both the 754 and 755 fantastic rods and yes they BOTH balance as well as anything out there and just as sensitive in my hands as my 873. Now I’m gonna say something very ugly ! I’ve got a 7’6” hvy action black Ice Duckett and I don’t care what anyone says it’s a true sleeper. Extremely sensitive and Very Very well balanced with or without a reel mounted. Very nice rd indeed.

No doubt the NRX rods are exceptional. But, I’ll stick with my St. Croix Legend Elite for jigging.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Just from personal experience...the NRX 894C didn't impress me...felt dead compared to the 893C I had. I'm very curious about the rod Gary talked about in this thread...looking to make a change to some new rods here soon.

As far as the custom build side...it's great to be able to build what you want, but it sure is a pain in the butt replacing only quickly if you break one especially if you didn't build it yourself.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    No doubt the NRX rods are exceptional. But, I’ll stick with my St. Croix Legend Elite for jigging.
    #MeToo

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    #MeToo
    #MeThree

Which model are you using? 74hf or 76mhmf?
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post

7. Member
    yeah i really like the nrx 894 as an all around jig rod, but i also use st croix legend elites and they are great. 7'4 hvy for pitching jigs and heavy casting jigs, 7'6 mhmf is a great football jig rod, and i really like the 7'mh as an all around jig rod as well.

8. Member
    I'm a big NRX fan, but if you haven't compared the Conquest 844 and 843 to the similar NRX rods you owe it to yourself to do so. For me, they offer a bit more confidence just with the strength the blank has and how they are built and the sensitivity is just as good. To me the Conquest 843 is a special rod that can cover so many techniques including being a great jig rod for 3/8-1/2 oz. Also for that heavier jig, longer rod fans, I also like the Steez AGS 7'6. Has that same type strength I reference in the conquest description. I have to imagine the Conquest 903/904 are also in this discussion, but my experience with the 903 was quick so I don't have as much background with it.

I'm intrigued by all the St. Croix Legend talk as I'd like to try out some of the Legend X rods, I believe they are the same blank as the legend elites you referenced.

9. Member
    Yes they are same in tge blanks just different guide train

10. Member
    I've had an NRX 894 and thought my Dobyns Dx HP was just as sensitive fishing them side by side for a year. bought an Xtasy this year and it is amazing. Can't believe how much more sensitive it is that the HP line.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    I'm a big NRX fan, but if you haven't compared the Conquest 844 and 843 to the similar NRX rods you owe it to yourself to do so. For me, they offer a bit more confidence just with the strength the blank has and how they are built and the sensitivity is just as good. To me the Conquest 843 is a special rod that can cover so many techniques including being a great jig rod for 3/8-1/2 oz. Also for that heavier jig, longer rod fans, I also like the Steez AGS 7'6. Has that same type strength I reference in the conquest description. I have to imagine the Conquest 903/904 are also in this discussion, but my experience with the 903 was quick so I don't have as much background with it.

I'm intrigued by all the St. Croix Legend talk as I'd like to try out some of the Legend X rods, I believe they are the same blank as the legend elites you referenced.
    The Conquests are much better than NRXs in my opinion.

12. Member
    I had the Megabass FMJ. I wasn't comfortable using it with anything heavier than 3/8 (plus trailer) - but other people may feel differently.

My main jig rod is a NRX 894. The sensitivity is great. The balance and feel leaves a little to be desired - but again - that's subjective.

I also have a custom rod for pitching made by DroomVanger Custom Rods. I can't say it's as sensitive as my NRX 894, but the balance and feel is exactly what I wanted.

If you simply want the best overall rod with the best sensitivity, I'd go with the NRX 894. Shop around and don't pay MSRP.
    2023 Puma STS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    I had the Megabass FMJ. I wasn't comfortable using it with anything heavier than 3/8 (plus trailer) - but other people may feel differently.
    I'm surprised to hear that. The FMJ is a pretty stout rod.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    I'm surprised to hear that. The FMJ is a pretty stout rod.
    Good 1/2 ounce jig rod. One of my favorites before it turned into a two piece...

15. Member
    Same. I thought the FMJ went up to over an ounce?

Quote Originally Posted by UkCatsBasser View Post
    Same. I thought the FMJ went up to over an ounce?
    It goes up to 1 1/4oz

Here you go guys, this one jumps right in the mix with the best of them in my opinion. This one is amazing and I'm a high end jig rod guy... just introduced today! Here is a link to the thread in the rods for sale section...

Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact @ The Tackle Trap

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Here you go guys, this one jumps right in the mix with the best of them in my opinion. This one is amazing and I'm a high end jig rod guy... just introduced today! Here is a link to the thread in the rods for sale section...

Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact @ The Tackle Trap

Wow, been waiting to see this one. How long have you been fishing it and do you know how long the handle is ? Thanks

19. Member
    Awesome!! Thanks for sharing the information, I’m checking into it
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by dr14 View Post
    Wow, been waiting to see this one. How long have you been fishing it and do you know how long the handle is ? Thanks
    Since the first prototypes came several months back. The chosen model, for a couple months now regularly. The handle is 10.5" from the butt to the red trim ring behind the reel. In my hands, it's an ideal length - long enough for two hand open water casting, but not too long for pitching duties.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast