Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    How does the handle compare the the existing Steez AGS rods? I'm asking specifically about the reel locking nut (seems longer/larger) but also the shape of the handle.

And yeah, who am I kidding....I've already ordered one. It's going to match up nicely with a Steez A 7.1:1 with a red ZPI PG spool.

How the balance of this rod, comparing it to a 894? Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Since the first prototypes came several months back. The chosen model, for a couple months now regularly. The handle is 10.5" from the butt to the red trim ring behind the reel. In my hands, it's an ideal length - long enough for two hand open water casting, but not too long for pitching duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    How the balance of this rod, comparing it to a 894? Thank you
    Noticeably better in my hands...

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleiron View Post
    How does the handle compare the the existing Steez AGS rods? I'm asking specifically about the reel locking nut (seems longer/larger) but also the shape of the handle.

And yeah, who am I kidding....I've already ordered one. It's going to match up nicely with a Steez A 7.1:1 with a red ZPI PG spool.
    Thank you and that is an excellent match. I've fished Steez A, Steez SV TW, Steez CT, and a few others on this new rod.

I'll try to get you a couple comparison photos. I really like the feel of this Air Sensor reel seat and the blank exposure it offers. The Bottom Contact rod is slimmer and more streamlined than the standard Steez AGS rods. It is very comfortable and so much fun to fish!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Megabass Destroyer FMJ is an excellent jig rod.
    Hard to beat this rod paired with a bantam or metanium
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    How does the Dobyns Xtasy series compare to a Steez/Conquest/NRX?

6. Member
    The Steez bottom contact rod is superbly balanced and should not be paired with a tank of a reel.
    the 894 would have been a good contender but if you have to counter balance a rod in this price range what’s the point?
    i do have one and like many put a butt cap on it and now I have an Antares HG on it and it’s become one of my more used rods NOW.
    Megabass does not have one that I can think of other than the Gambler which is very very nice or something like the X7 Aaron Martens rod that is just
    everything that I like in a jig stick.
    I wouldn’t say the H3 kistler ONLY due to the price point is what we are talking about. I have a ZBone as well
    at the moment the Steez Bottom contact , MB X7 AM rod and this Evergreen Super Stallion are what I’m using
    but I think that in order to accurately answer your question in a less subjective way you would have to define what you mean by High End.

A custom rod could definitely be a contender if the builder used premium components and spiral wrapped the guides.
    Given the specs you gave I would suggest the Steez bottom contact rod and on this side of the world I don’t see anything in that price point +/- $100 that comes close. But you have to have a reel just as light

7. Member
    I would not even think of a Dobyns rod. Not that they are good rods but more often than not people have given the rod powers they simply don’t possess.

Thank you for the positive comments on the Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact rod BassinJax. In my hands, it is presently my absolute favorite 3/8 to 3/4 oz jig and plastics rod available in the US market. It makes a heck of a Dark Sleeper rod too, and is very versatile in general...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    No doubt the NRX rods are exceptional. But, I’ll stick with my St. Croix Legend Elite for jigging.
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until the Classic release... hints are out there now, you just have to look harder for them than you will in the coming months. Start here https://stcroixrods.com/blogs/news/m...-derek-hudnall...

“St. Croix is making their most significant product launch ever in Birmingham,” says Hudnall. “The Legend Xtreme Series – already hands down my favorite rods – are being upgraded to a new level of sensitivity and all-around performance that I struggle to describe. You’ve simply got to pick up these rods and fish with them to truly understand what St. Croix has created! The new Legend Xtreme Series uses St. Croix’s most exotic carbon-blend blank construction, a full carbon guide train, an upgraded second-generation Extreme Skin handle and other refinements to create St. Croix’s most sensitive fishing rods ever. I’ve been fortunate to have been involved in the development and testing of these incredible new rods, and they’ll definitely be on my deck and in my hands this season.”

Last edited by LegendX; 02-02-2020 at 10:07 PM.

10. Member

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until the Classic release... hints are out there now, you just have to look harder for them than you will in the coming months. Start here https://stcroixrods.com/blogs/news/m...-derek-hudnall...

“St. Croix is making their most significant product launch ever in Birmingham,” says Hudnall. “The Legend Xtreme Series – already hands down my favorite rods – are being upgraded to a new level of sensitivity and all-around performance that I struggle to describe. You’ve simply got to pick up these rods and fish with them to truly understand what St. Croix has created! The new Legend Xtreme Series uses St. Croix’s most exotic carbon-blend blank construction, a full carbon guide train, an upgraded second-generation Extreme Skin handle and other refinements to create St. Croix’s most sensitive fishing rods ever. I’ve been fortunate to have been involved in the development and testing of these incredible new rods, and they’ll definitely be on my deck and in my hands this season.”

I have 0 St. Croix rods, but this might be the one I get...so I can feel every tick and bump of the stolen shopping carts sitting at the bottom of our wonderful Florida canals.

12. Member
    From the pics looks like they kept the same real seat. Wish they would have used cork, but nonetheless I’m excited to try these out

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diggy_ View Post
    I have 0 St. Croix rods, but this might be the one I get...so I can feel every tick and bump of the stolen shopping carts sitting at the bottom of our wonderful Florida canals.
    I'll go as far as to say you could tell if it's a Walmart, CVS, or Cosco cart.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revofisher View Post
    From the pics looks like they kept the same real seat. Wish they would have used cork, but nonetheless I’m excited to try these out
    The first generation corks were/ are still highly sought after and are valued in the collection of anglers. The generation following were exponentially more sensitive, however, the uniqueness of the handle, for some anglers was hard to handle.

15. Member
    Yeah I cant knock the new handle I haven’t tried the legend extreme rods. I do own many legend elites and like them a lot. I think in my hands the nrx is more sensitive than tge legend elites so I’m pretty excited about getting a few of these to try out. What would be really cool is if st croix did some new models! Or I’m wondering if they will mirror the current action rods

I'm curious about the new St. Croix Xtreme rods myself. They will debut at The Bassmaster Classic in Birmingham. The Tackle Trap will have all models in stock at the Classic expo and on the website as soon as they give us the green light. The TT booth is directly across from St. Croix and adjacent to Daiwa this year...

17. Member
    Thanks Gary I’ll be sure to order from the trap as I will be unable to attend the classic .

18. Member
    I'm okay w the handle material on the post-cork xtremes but the sk2 reel seat was the most uncomfortable thing i've ever fished. won't bother /w it if it has it agian.

19. Member
    Got the NRX 803C/873CCR

Now this new one will burn more money in my pockets:)
    Last edited by cbburke74; 02-05-2020 at 07:22 PM.

I've been using a NRX 843 and love it, but we don't have a lot of thick cover here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234