46mph 225hp - Troubleshooting help

I looked at a 99 renegade 20 over the weekend with a 225 Johnson. Good looking boat for the age. I’m not very experienced with boat setup but I worked as a mechanic for many years in my youth. Just sold a 1997 17’ nitro to get into a better platform: more space for me and the kids, increased stability, better suited for shallow water anchors, and so on.

With that being said my goal wasn’t a 70+ mph boat but I read up on the boats here before looking at it and learned that this boat should be able to hit 70 pretty easily. I was quickly disappointed by how terrible the hole shot and top speed was. About 20 seconds to get on plane and a gps top speed of only 46 mph at around 4600 rpm trimmed all the way up. It has a jack plate and it looked like it had a lot of room to go up. I explained my concerns to the seller and he dropped the price a good bit so I took the gamble with it. My hope was that the boat has never been setup properly and I could make several small tweaks to the setup and make some big improvements without a lot of investment.

Here’s where I’m at:

Measured ptp as best as I could to be 4”. I was hoping it would be lower than that to explain the poor performance. I brought the motor up an inch knowing that I needed a lot of improvement.

The owner told me the prop had been reworked by someone recently after he hit it on something. It says raker on it but there aren’t any other letters or numbers that I can see. I’m going to try to measure the pitch soon and see if it’s appropriate. He told me it was setup as “medium” on speed and holeshot. The foot was replaced with a rebuilt foot at the same time. He claimed the boat’s performance was the same before as it was after the work was done. He also said the compression was checked and it checked out ok.

It has a foot throttle but not a hot foot brand unit. I wondered if perhaps the cables weren’t adjusted properly or had stretched over the years not allowing it to reach WOT. With the cowl off I noticed it appeared the throttle wasn’t opening completely. I adjusted the throttle cable to take up about half the distance it was short on the stop. So maybe 3/8” of the 3/4” gap.

I’m working on getting out on the water soon to see if these minor changes had an effect on performance. My gut tells me there’s something bigger I’m missing. Most people that come on here are looking for an extra 5-10mph where as I’m 25mph below where I should be. I would really appreciate any tips or advice anyone can share.

2. Member
    Raker numbers are usually on the inside of the hub by the nut. I’m not a wizard with bass boat setup but I would say there’s definitely something off, I run a 225 with a raker 26” on a heavy 19’ Ranger, it’s a raped ape to 60 and I can get 70-72 between load and conditions. Many more knowledgeable people here for specifics, so I’ll leave the troubleshooting to the experts not my opinion. Good luck, hope you can get her right
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    Thanks for the tip on the prop. I’ll try to clean off the carbon tonight and see if I can see anything. First response and I’m already learning something new. Can’t wait to see what others will add.

If the boat checks out we will help you get it set up right. It is a 70MPH plus boat so if the price is right and the boat is in good shape, get it. Or tell me where it is.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Well, unfortunately the prop doesn’t seem to be the culprit. It’s a 14.5x26. Part #394756. I know the owner said it had been reworked so I suppose it may not match its original shape/pitch 100% but I can’t imagine it’s robbing 20+ mph. I suppose there must be a bigger issue somewhere. Bad compression or other engine problems perhaps. The owner said the speed was always the same for the about 3 years he owned it. Could it still be running after 3 years while suffering from fairly significant issues? I’ve never done a compression check on an outboard before but done it plenty of times on automobile engines so I can check that soon.

The prop could be trash, carb butterflies not opening all the way, motor set too low (we know that to be true from your measure). It could be lots of things. Could be completely water logged, who knows but it could be something simple too.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

The power packs where notorious for failing on those loop charged motors and could be the issue. Those motors do perform well when tuned up right.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

8. Member
    Would a bad power pack cause poor performance like I’m seeing? I would think a bad component of the ignition system just wouldn’t allow the motor to run at all.

On another note, I was thinking of testing to see if I’m getting more RPMs by adjusting the throttle cables by running the engine at my house on the hose. Is it safe to rev up a motor when it’s not in the water? There won’t be the resisting force of the water on the prop so it might not be a helpful test anyway.
    Last edited by scfishin; 11-01-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Get that motor checked out before anything else. To be 20mph low sounds like a motor problem to me. If you can borrow a known good prop that would rule the prop out but I'm 90% sure you have motor problems.

10. Member
    I’m with you McGinnis after checking the obvious things and not finding a smoking gun. I just can’t think of an engine issue that the only symptom is that the RPM are low. No weird noises, vibrations, smoke, difficulty starting. Nothing. I’m going to check the compression this weekend and check the plugs to make sure she’s firing on all cylinders. After that I can check the timing and with a test drive I can make sure there isn’t something with the cables or foot throttle preventing WOT. After that I guess it’ll be going to a marine mechanic.

11. Member
    Check out the Johnson Evinrude motors forum on this site. Give them all the information you have including serial # for the motor. The guys on this site are great. They’ll tell you to buy the factory service manual. With your previous mechanical experience and guidance from the guys on that forum, you’ll likely be able to fix or at least diagnose without taking it to a marine tech.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scfishin View Post
    Would a bad power pack cause poor performance like I’m seeing? I would think a bad component of the ignition system just wouldn’t allow the motor to run at all.

On another note, I was thinking of testing to see if I’m getting more RPMs by adjusting the throttle cables by running the engine at my house on the hose. Is it safe to rev up a motor when it’s not in the water? There won’t be the resisting force of the water on the prop so it might not be a helpful test anyway.
    Do not rev it on the hose.

13. Member
    Thanks everyone. I did a compression test this morning so I’ll create a thread in the Johnson forum and see what we can come up with.