Thread: Fixing Brakes

Scraps

Fixing Brakes

I had put this on the FB Owners Board as well.

Just wanna throw this out there to fellow owners. Have a 2017 with tandem trailer and brakes on both axles. From day one I didn’t feel like I was getting enough braking from the trailer. Sure enough I found, oddly, that only the left side calipers we’re applying when stopping. At the end of a trip I would see the right side rotors still rusty while the lefts were shiny from braking.

This trailer came with one bleeder at the end of the brake line. I had bled the system, got frustrated and went to a dealer and they bled, same thing. No full application on all calipers.

So I call MarineMaster. One suspicion was that they had put in a single axle trailer master cylinder. Confirmed that wasn’t the case. So they sent me a kit to add a bleeder to each caliper. Not difficult and I finally did it and it appears this has at least partially fixed the problem. After getting home I found all discs to show fresh shiny surface and recognized a difference in the truck when slowing.

So if anyone else has similar issues give Marine Master a call.

Now if I can only solve this ground issue causing the dash trailer fault to come on.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Member
    Which FB group?

BTW I know I am less then thrilled with my 2013 trailer. I know several local phoenix owners that have had trailer issues issues as well.

For me I have had 5-6 vault hubs leak, calipers/routers replaced due to sticking on. Just recently replaced a leaking master cylinder and redid every ground connection due to some corrosion.

While I admit Marine Master has been helpful when I have called them, I question the level of overall quality of these trailers. Do other brand of trailers have the same level of issues that I see locally and on the forum? If not is Phoenix aware of the level of issues we are having ?

3. Scraps
    Phoenix owners. Tell me about the problems. Not huge issues for me, but the electrical will be a struggle for a long time I think. MarineMaster is pretty active on that FB page. That's how I found out about the brake fix. But you're right, I've prolly lost a good four days of fishing due to this trailer and more gray hair. I owned a RangerTrail for 18yrs and never had these issues.

I also recently messed with the grounds. Right now I have the right side rear lights showing as ungrounded. I wonder if it's the ground up by the tongue that's loose. The jointed tongue is an issue getting the ground back through the frame to the truck I think. I noticed my lights worked only when I was hooked up and there was some weight on the tongue.
    2017 Phoenix 819

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Phoenix owners. Tell me about the problems. Not huge issues for me, but the electrical will be a struggle for a long time I think. MarineMaster is pretty active on that FB page. That's how I found out about the brake fix. But you're right, I've prolly lost a good four days of fishing due to this trailer and more gray hair. I owned a RangerTrail for 18yrs and never had these issues.

I also recently messed with the grounds. Right now I have the right side rear lights showing as ungrounded. I wonder if it's the ground up by the tongue that's loose. The jointed tongue is an issue getting the ground back through the frame to the truck I think. I noticed my lights worked only when I was hooked up and there was some weight on the tongue.
    Clean the main ground, and I'd run a ground wire from the main trailer frame to the swing tongue. Then test. I'd also be prepared to clean ALL the grounds, even if you have to do it all again, just to be sure. And other connections.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Clean the main ground, and I'd run a ground wire from the main trailer frame to the swing tongue. Then test. I'd also be prepared to clean ALL the grounds, even if you have to do it all again, just to be sure. And other connections.
    I know you're right and I should do this. I did cleanup the main ground at the tongue but that may be the cul***** right now. I know I had to search to find the right thread for that connection and may have guessed wrong.
    2017 Phoenix 819