Mercury Laser EFI test box I made up

Just made up this new box after successfully trying out an earlier prototype . This plugs into the existing Mercury factory wiring between the engine harness and ECU . All 16 of the inputs/outputs connected to the ECU can be monitored at there own color coded test jack plugs with a multi-meter and DVA adapter (for the cranking tests) . Continuity tests between the factory connector back to the sensors or devices connected to the engine harness can be run . Cranking and running spark coil voltages can be checked as well as injector pair pulses/voltages without the need for the merc injector test cable .Resistances of the manifold air temp sensor and coolant temp sensor can be checked . TPS calibration can be checked and adjusted without the special merc test cable by unplugging the engine temp sensor and moving the throttle 0-100% . Using this box I can run down all of the associated ECU I/O very quickly and got all of my baseline reads on a running 200 EFI . Fuel pump voltage and current can also be monitored at jack plugs for this purpose .
    The box itself is 6 x 9" so I figure I can carry it along with me in the boat and if the motor gets hard to start check out all of the ECU sensor values . I put 3 foot leads on so I can drive the boat while monitoring things . I know Mercury has a DDT tester that can do all of these tests but I just made up this thing as a cheaper troubleshooting alternative .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome! I’ve always been amazed that with the shear number of laser motors that were built there’s never been much aftermarket out there for the computers. That’s a neat setup you got.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Member
    Nice fab work!!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice! Think I like yours better than the old one we used to have in the Dealer tools.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I was contemplating adding a output to the box for pulsing injector pairs if I can fit it in ?

Thanks all for the kind responses...

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on what you're going to use to provide the "pulsing" signal...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Using PWM generator with output set to freq = 25 hz and voltage = 7.65 (80% duty cycle with 9 volt battery) applied to spare pink tip injector had it pulsing pretty good .
    Last edited by kls2020; 11-02-2019 at 08:44 PM. Reason: error