Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold weather clothes

I will be hunting from a tree stand in temps from low 20s to mid 40s. I'm currently conditioned to temps in the 80s. What's yalls advice for cold weather clothing? Thanks Joseph

2. Banned
    Parka and bibs a must,wool socks and a turtle neck also.Always have hand warmers and if possible be facing the S so that NW wind doesn’t affect you as much

Layers, good moisture wicking base layer, insulating mid layer and then a wind blocking outer layer. I wear bibs and a parka when it gets cold.

4. Banned
    Under Armor cold gear base layer 4.0 worked well for me last year in Colorado, have it packed again for this years trip.

5. Member
    Layers. And carry your outer layers in to be put on once you arrive and catch your breath. Face mask and warm hat make a huge difference when it gets cold, esp. with wind. Glomitts and even hand warmers if it's real cold

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Layers. And carry your outer layers in to be put on once you arrive and catch your breath. Face mask and warm hat make a huge difference when it gets cold, esp. with wind. Glomitts and even hand warmers if it's real cold

Yes what he said, esp carry most of your clothes in. Also nothing cotton. Sweat with cotton and its over.

7. Member
    Look for some old Artic Sheild ....I cannot stand to be cold.

Under armor 4.0
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

As mentioned above, LAYERS! And don’t put on your outer layers while you’re walking to the stand or you’ll sweat too much and then all the layers in the world won’t make a difference.

I wear under Armour and moisture wicking socks for the base layer, then an insulating later over top like duofolds, then a 1/4 zip fleece. When I get to the stand I put on my bibs, coat, neck gaiter, beanie, and wool socks. Sometimes you can get away with wearing the bibs while walking in, but definitely save the coat, socks, and hat for when you get on stand. I also wear a thin pair of gloves for the walk in, and then put on the warmer gloves in the stand.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Under armor cold gear base layers. I also have Cabela’s MT050 parka and bibs and they are more than worth the money.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    2018 Ranger Z518
    2019 Ranger RT198P, 150 Pro 4s, Dual Blades

Quote Originally Posted by bamarig06 View Post
    Under armor cold gear base layers. I also have Cabela’s MT050 parka and bibs and they are more than worth the money.
    I quit using my under armor for the most part. I feel like when I was sitting in a stand it actually made me colder. Switching my stuff over to more of a fleecy or wool base layers and feel much warmer. I think the under armor may work better if you are moving.

12. Member
    Agreed. The UA stuff I tried only worked when I was moving. If you are sitting still it feels like it freezes me!

13. Member
    Never liked the UA, dont like tight fitting cloths.
    Polar-tec base layer works and keeps me warmer than UA. Dont forget the socks also. Sportsman guide has the best pricing. Used to be able to buy the top and bottoms for $25. Well not this year. Dress before you walk to the stand. Dont try to drive wearing this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Never liked the UA, dont like tight fitting cloths.
    Polar-tec base layer works and keeps me warmer than UA. Dont forget the socks also. Sportsman guide has the best pricing. Used to be able to buy the top and bottoms for $25. Well not this year. Dress before you walk to the stand. Dont try to drive wearing this stuff.
    I got some of the polartec base layers last year and it seemed to keep me much warmer than my old under armor. I need to get some pants now though.

15. Banned
    UA base layers are a must and excellent wool socks and hand warmers also.

16. Member
    Sitka Fanatic series. I have the jacket and love it. Best piece of hunting gear ever made.

Box stand

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Sitka Fanatic series. I have the jacket and love it. Best piece of hunting gear ever made.
    True that! I’ve got the same jacket and it’s outstanding!

19. Member
    layers are the best and like wool but if it gets real cold down works

20. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20basstriton View Post
    I will be hunting from a tree stand in temps from low 20s to mid 40s. I'm currently conditioned to temps in the 80s. What's yalls advice for cold weather clothing? Thanks Joseph
    Cold lol. A light jacket in those temps. Just kidding. Layers, i.like polar fleece over a under armor type base.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast