Thread: OVER HEATING

Question OVER HEATING

I have a 2001 Yamaha OX66 150 (VX150TLRZ) that is OVER HEATING and I don't know why. The motor has set for about six months so I drained all the gas out and put new gas in it. I then hooked the water hose to it and it started right up and I ran it for about 5 minutes and it had water circulation throw the hole system. I know this because their was water coming out the pee hole. I then let it sit for about 5 minutes then started it up again but this time it had no water coming out the pee hole so the over heating warning buzzer came on and I shut it down. I had the impeller replaced about 9 months ago and maybe ran the motor 10 times before it sat for 6 months. I wouldn't think it has a bad thermostat because it did fine the first time I ran the motor, I did make sure the water pick up screens were clean and the pee hole was clean so does any body have a clue what could be wrong. I really don't want to pull the foot off to check on the impeller but I will if I need too.

2. Member
    Does an OX66 have a pressure relief valve? My overheat issues on my HPDI were related to the pressure relief valve. It is fairly easy to replace and solved all my issues.

3. Member
    I will have to check

4. Member
    Here's an old thread on the overpressure/poppet valve on that motor. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=34910

I occasionally get an OH warning when idling my Pro-V150, have the part... just have to get around to installing.

Check your poppit valve. There are a couple tips here on BBC that really help on the install. Mine had a broken spring.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    They will overheat running on a hose. The only way to know for sure you have a problem without tearing into it is to run it completely submerged in a barrel or lake. The poppet valve design did change, so it won’t hurt to replace it, but the problem could be it’s just not getting enough water on the hose.