Thumbs Up The bite had to eventually turn on for us up here...

I don't know what the heck has been going on all year, but at least for a good chunk of New England, this year has been way off. The bass just weren't anywhere you'd expect them to be, and they weren't biting what they always would bite before. Thankfully, with the water temps finally falling, things have started to turn around up here. Prior to this year, I got to that point where I knew enough about the conditions to mostly accurately call my shots, and make it happen. That wasn't the case for most of this year, but this trip finally turned things around. Cooler weather settled in, the water temps dropped about 10 degrees and had been at that point for several days, and the fish were exactly where I'd thought they be. This was the confidence booster I needed. Enjoy.

2. Banned
    I am glad I am not the only New Englander to struggle this year.

3. Member
    Fishing has been awful here in NY too.. few weeks ago we had almost a 22lb bag on one of our fall lakes but other than that it’s been miserable. Even oneida has been off and that’s usually on fire from end of September thru october. The stream trout fishing has off too, just a weird year up here all around
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysdad View Post
    I am glad I am not the only New Englander to struggle this year.
    It's been tough for pretty much everyone I know. Only a few people have managed to have a mostly good year in this area, and I can confidently say only 1 guy I know has been killing it since the season started. Much of the same from others, lot of lakes that usually are on fire for certain things, or even a variety of things, just aren't producing. Not sure if it's just the drought or something else going on too, but it hasn't been good this year...

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Fishing has been awful here in NY too.. few weeks ago we had almost a 22lb bag on one of our fall lakes but other than that it’s been miserable. Even oneida has been off and that’s usually on fire from end of September thru october. The stream trout fishing has off too, just a weird year up here all around
    Have you also been dealing with drought conditions? It's one of the main things I can point to this year that COULD be the reason for the fishing being off everywhere...but there's gotta be something else going on. It has been tough all around since ice out. Last year was tough with the colder & wetter than normal spring that just never seemed to end, but things turned around at least for the latter half of the year. This year, it got off to the same bad foot and never recovered. It's reminiscent of the bad drought we had 4 years ago now.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    This was a weird year for us up around Erie. After the mid-June spurt [coming off spawn], decent fish were few and far between, and the best summertime spots were mainly null and void. We put it down to the opposite of drought conditions, however: the Great Lakes and Erie in particular were super high this year. And typically good spots where current funneled the bass were too deep this year to have as much current. But that forces us to learn some new locations, so it’s all good in the long run.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Have you also been dealing with drought conditions? It's one of the main things I can point to this year that COULD be the reason for the fishing being off everywhere...but there's gotta be something else going on. It has been tough all around since ice out. Last year was tough with the colder & wetter than normal spring that just never seemed to end, but things turned around at least for the latter half of the year. This year, it got off to the same bad foot and never recovered. It's reminiscent of the bad drought we had 4 years ago now.
    Drought? I thought just about everywhere in the northeast has been wet this year. All of our streams and rivers have been up from spring to fall.

Tough year here too, last Sat. Gsve me hope I can get a few before hard water.

8. Member
    We definitely don’t have a drought problem here, it seems like it rains a few times a week and the streams have been wicked high. It’s just weird.. club classic in September is on a lake that gets little bass fishing pressure since majority of people go for lake trout and half the field couldn’t get limits. Mid summer it’s so easy to catch bass it’s ridiculous. I think it’s the temps cause they’ve been mostly higher than normal. It’s going to be mid 60s till Friday and Saturday the high is 43. Seems like it’s just a late fall push this year. I actually put my boat away for the winter already cause the fishing has been so off I’ll just be pond hopping in a jon boat till we get safe ice.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Drought? I thought just about everywhere in the northeast has been wet this year. All of our streams and rivers have been up from spring to fall.
    Oh wow, you got way more rain up your way than where I'm at. All of the spots I fish around southern NH are about 2 feet down, in places that rarely are even down a foot. We had quite the wet spring, and then practically nothing since then. This storm that has settled over us the last few days is going to help big time though. May sneak out Friday after work to hopefully go get into some largies, as I'm going to try lakes region NH on Sunday for smallies.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    This was a weird year for us up around Erie. After the mid-June spurt [coming off spawn], decent fish were few and far between, and the best summertime spots were mainly null and void. We put it down to the opposite of drought conditions, however: the Great Lakes and Erie in particular were super high this year. And typically good spots where current funneled the bass were too deep this year to have as much current. But that forces us to learn some new locations, so it’s all good in the long run.
    Yea that area is in a whole different world of weird with how high the waters are. I was out there the last week of August on Ontario and the St Lawrence River. Water was still absurdly high and the current was rippin.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Tough year here too, last Sat. Gsve me hope I can get a few before hard water.
    Got out last Thursday down in the Worcester, MA area and had a pretty good day all things considered. That gives me more hope that the fall bite is really here for these smaller kettle ponds. We'll see if the lakes region smallies are on fire yet or not come Sunday...

I’ve killed it this year .. just saying lol

Yea that area is in a whole different world of weird with how high the waters are. I was out there the last week of August on Ontario and the St Lawrence River. Water was still absurdly high and the current was rippin.

Got out last Thursday down in the Worcester, MA area and had a pretty good day all things considered. That gives me more hope that the fall bite is really here for these smaller kettle ponds. We'll see if the lakes region smallies are on fire yet or not come Sunday...
    I was on cape ponds. And all smallies.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post

The same here, my best year in over a decade.

Riley

14. Member
    You're the 1 guy I mentioned previously, but I don't need to feed your ego dammit.

15. Member
    Nice! I've been struggling with putting two good days in a row together (ex: I crushed them last Friday, got only one in the same place on Sat??).

What is the color of your favorite Senko ?

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    What is the color of your favorite Senko ?
    Hot Pink !!!