I have a 4 Stroke 250. What is it worth?

So my Merc 250 4 Stroke just came in. I got tired of waiting, and I have already put a new Yamaha on my boat. I am going to sell the Merc. I think Merc just took a price increase, plus I need to get my money back from buying the Yamaha and the rigging. What should I ask for that motor?
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

If it was mine I would start by asking what I gave for it. There is definitely a demand for the motor. However there are several drawbacks to buying from an individual vs a dealer. So it may be hard to sell for full price especially this time of year. In the end it's only worth what someone's willing to pay.

3. Member
    I have spent the last coupla months, calling, emailing & texting dealers ! lowest price I got was $17,200 the highest quote was $22,800 !... what a spread ?

4. Member
    I was gonna buy a new “crate” motor ‘ from a “”Pro” a few years back ‘ but could not find a dealer to rig it !, they won’t rig it’ unless you buy it from them !, and you need that ‘ so Merc will honor the warranty!...

I've bought many motors over the years and rigged them myself.
    The last few of them from Mercury have to be hooked to a computer by a dealer before the warranty will be recognized. Have not had any trouble paying a dealer for there time to double check my rigging and start the warranty.
    I would advise getting that setup with someone first. In the off season it should not be a problem to find a dealer willing to rig it.

6. Member
    Thanks Birdman--My motor is at the dealer and he can rig it. I was wondering what the prices out there were going for. That helps me
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

Lunker 56
    considering how hard they are to find, your dealer or your self should have no problem getting whatever retail is now...
    they are a high commodity and few available ...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

8. Banned
    Ok, I'll start the bidding $100... PM if your interested... The dealer should be able to move it for you at retail... Dan

9. Banned
    Could probably get $2500 over retail from someone that doesn't want to wait a year.

the wait is decreasing rapidly ...
    motors are popping up at dealers alot more frequently

11. Member
    Surprised your dealer can’t find a buyer for you, unless he has more in stock ready for him to sell.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. mikesxpress
    Name your price and have the dealer sell it. Lots of folks looking for one.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    the wait is decreasing rapidly ...
    motors are popping up at dealers alot more frequently
    you are correct sir. My pop is looking to repower but selling his 2 stroke first. Could have bought a 4 stroke last week if his motor was gone.

14. Member
    Saw one today in the crate for 18,300$

I could have got one for $16,500 in the beginning. Now I’m seeing $18,500 and as high as 22,500.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    I could have got one for $16,500 in the beginning. Now I’m seeing $18,500 and as high as 22,500.
    no...you could have ORDERED one for 16,500 with a wait and the disclaimer that Merc/Merc dealers put out that the price is subject to change once motor is built...

17. Member
    Yep , when the price went up , my cost reflected that. I was only on the waiting list for 13 months. LOL. I did not put a deposit down. Not sure that would have mitigated the price increase or not.
    GETFISHED !!!

Merc would not have taken one...not saying your dealer wouldn’t have, but Merc suggested not to on mine, and had my dealer explain that the cost would probably be going up by the time I received the motor...

a lot of dealers took a deposit and many wound up giving them back. and Merc did not honor the price of the motors ordered long before the price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker56 View Post
    Thanks Birdman--My motor is at the dealer and he can rig it. I was wondering what the prices out there were going for. That helps me
    That being the case, have you asked the dealer to help you with it? Given the apparent demand for these motors, maybe he can sell it for you and give you what you paid him for it and keep any extra for him. If he can't sell if for what you paid him for it, expect to take a bit of a hit.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow