Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Praying Copying Way Points

I have my way points from my Lowrance Carbon 12 saved to a MSD card. Can I copy them over to my new Garmin Echomap Ultra 126 sv or are they different?
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

Export from Lowrance in GPX format. Then, it is a straight import into the Ultra. Just make sure and select GPX as the import format on the Ultra.
    Garmin Pro Team

Doing the above Worked just fine for me, however none of symbols/icons transferred with the exception of some random icons
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Anyone that does the GPX format will not have icons/symbols transfer.....but if you know what they are or named them with "tree", "stump", etc., one can download the Garmin Homeport program and go in and add the icon to each waypoint.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    I’m also going to be adding a Garmin unit to my boat today. If I transfer them using GPX will it just show a waypoint number or a generic symbol?

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If i remember correctly it will just place a generic symbol with the name or number.....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    I’m also going to be adding a Garmin unit to my boat today. If I transfer them using GPX will it just show a waypoint number or a generic symbol?
    I just switched from Lowrance to Garmin this season after 15+ years. The GPX format is the only way that I know to do this and it will only show a generic symbol and assign it a random number. I did find that it kept a few of my original names - maybe less than one percent of them. One of the few challenges I have found is that you can only use a name once when naming waypoints so you have to go into the notes area and type any info to help ID what the waypoint is - then when reviewing them you have to go into this notes area. It proves to be a 4-letter word event for me each time but this is my only complaint so I deal with it.

If anyone has figured a way around this I would appreciate it if you could share it.

Thanks.
    BCB Lynx
    Mercury 250 ProXs 4-Stroke

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Anyone that does the GPX format will not have icons/symbols transfer.....but if you know what they are or named them with "tree", "stump", etc., one can download the Garmin Homeport program and go in and add the icon to each waypoint.
    Could you possibly elaborate on this please for the non-tech anglers in the room? Thank you.
    BCB Lynx

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    +1 unless you have hundreds of waypoints to modify.
    Then you should use a text-editor to globally change the Lowrance icon to a Garmin icon.

A GPX file is just a text-file so you can carefully use a text-editor to modify it. You need to know the "icon-name" used by Lowrance and the "icon-name" used by Garmin. Then make the global edit. This does require some computer knowledge.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    This does require some computer knowledge.
    If that's required then the average PC person wont know how to do it......its like they guys on here saying yeah you can use a 64 GB card, just have to format it correctly and it will work......most dont know how.....

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSix View Post
    Could you possibly elaborate on this please for the non-tech anglers in the room? Thank you.
    Garmin Homeport is a free program by Garmin that you can download to help with managing your waypoints, routes, etc. You can open our GPX file on your PC with the program and rename or assign symbols to them. With the GPX, if the symbol from Lowrance dont match what Garmin has then i believe it will be a generic square symbol.....so if you had some waypoints named "Tree1" Tree2", etc. then you can go into the list and pick the tree symbol if it was lost during the conversion. Now of course if you are lazy like me and didnt name it and left is as numbers then you may not remember what it is and then will have to stay a square......also another note, the program or your Garmin unit will not let you have duplicate names for waypoints, in other words, you cant have "rock pile" 20 times, you will have to rename it something like "rock pile 1", rock pile 2" etc......

Here is the Homeport program: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/64242

12. Member
    Perfect! Thank you.
    BCB Lynx

13. Member
    My Lowrance graphs are gone, I did save my waypoints on a disc but not in GPX. Is there a way to convert them on my computer?
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C

Past Rigs

14. Member
    You can download a free program called "GPS Babel". Works great.
    I use it a lot converting files from goggle earth.
    You can convert Lowrance USR files to GPX.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblume View Post
    My Lowrance graphs are gone, I did save my waypoints on a disc but not in GPX. Is there a way to convert them on my computer?
    There are much smarter folks than me at this who I am sure will come to the rescue - however, my thoughts would be to try:
    1. Opening the files and select "save as" to see if there is a .GPX option - if so - run with it. If not - go to Option #2
    2. Borrow a fishing buddy's Lowrance for a few minutes - load your waypoints in the old format on their unit and then once they are loaded - save them back to the SD card as .gpx files.

If feasible, #1 is the best option - obviously. However, if this is not possible and you have to go to option 2 you will want a trusted friend AND you will want to ensure his/her files are saved on a separate sd card before starting your process. This way - if you don't want them having your stuff you could "delete all" once complete and then have them load their's back after you have deleted yours from their unit. Make sense?

There is a third option which is a website that you can find with a bit of internet searching that will (in theory) convert the files for you. However, when I made my switch a few years ago I could not get this to work for me.

I hope this helps you.
    BCB Lynx

16. Member
    I downloaded the GPS Babel App and when I tried to convert them I got this message.

gpsbabel -s -w -i lowranceusr -f C:/Users/dblum_000/Documents/Don/Garmin/WaypointsRoutesTrails Fron.usr.usr -o gpx -F J:/Garmin/Garmin Waypoints.gpx -o gpx -F C:/Users/dblum_000/AppData/Local/Temp/GPSBabel.ooeisQ
    Lowrance USR trail version 6 not supported!!
    Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsuccessfully with code 1
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C

Past Rigs

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Don,
    I still have my Lowrance unit......if you want you can send me a copy of your Lowrance file and i'll export to GPX and send back to you. If you are interested send me a PM and i'll give you my email......

18. Member
    Don,
    I have some programming software that will let me transfer waypoint files between any brand and retain your symbols. I have transferred waypoints between Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin and Raymarine. I can do it very easily but I will need a copy of your gpx file. LittleGazoo is correct about needing to know the programming name of the symbols, which I do. GPX files are actually xml files contained in a GPX “wrapper” but can be edited with text editors. That method is a little more combersome but can be done. My software makes it very simple. My software will let me edit one or hundreds of waypoints at one time. I’ll be happy to do it for you if you would like. My email is mikesmith2718@yahoo.com
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

19. Member
    It looks like the Carbons use USR version 6 and so far no one can convert it without a Carbon or Live unit. I will need to get with a buddy of mine and borrow one of his Carbon 9 units to install and convert to GPX. After I get this done, Mike I will email you the file to rename the way points. Unless you are able to convert the USR version 6 to GPX.

Mike thanks for offering to help.
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C

Past Rigs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblume View Post
    It looks like the Carbons use USR version 6 and so far no one can convert it without a Carbon or Live unit. I will need to get with a buddy of mine and borrow one of his Carbon 9 units to install and convert to GPX. After I get this done, Mike I will email you the file to rename the way points. Unless you are able to convert the USR version 6 to GPX.

Mike thanks for offering to help.
    I have converted ver 4 and I believe 5 before but I have never tried ver 6. If you want to email it to me I can sure give it a try. I will know very quickly if I will be able to convert it.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast