Minn Kota Talons dragging water on plane.

Hey guys....looking for some ideas. I have a Stratos 294 with a 200 merc. I have twin 10' talons mounted via MK jack plate mounting brackets and a 6" Slidemaster jackplate.

What I've experienced is both talons drag the water when on plane. Not by much, I'd guess an inch or so, but it's enough it impacts performance considerably. I have them as high on the brackets as I can, and I have the mount as high on the bolts as I can on the slidemaster (i think). Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you resolve it? I know it's a lot of weight, but I'm trying to find a way to squeeze another inch or two in height and I should be golden.

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Don't have a Stratos but I had to raise mine as high as possible and in towards the transom a little bit at a time until it stopped.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

I would see if someone could make you a set of shims / blocks to raise the mounting of the Talons. Two through holes to mount to the jack plate and two threaded holes to bolt the Talon to.

Also is there enough clearance to have the mounting bracket holes slotted? That may give you the inch or so, you need.
    Last edited by Mechanic Bob; 11-02-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added option
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    I have a Stratos 294 and I'm in the market to buy a pair of Poles/Talons. I have been worried about the weight of the Talons because the 294 seems to sit so low in the back anyway. Sorry I can't help you but I think you just helped me make up my mind on Power Poles.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    The Talons need to be located as close to the hull as possible. Outside of that you have 2 choices.

1) Have a side spacer fabbed up and locate holes in a location in which you can side mount the Talon brackets higher.

2) Take the Talons off the boat and go with a lighter application.