Thread: Cork repair

Cork repair

Last time out, I brought way to many rods as usual, and I stuffed them all in my rod locker, closed the lid, and locked it. When I got to the lake, I noticed that I damaged the cork on my Dobyns Champion 735. Down at the bottom of the handle about an inch above the butt, the lock took a nice chunk out of the cork. I spoke to dobyns they said I can cut the rod up and send it back with $90 and they will send me a new rod. The rod is 6 years old, but it was cherry until this happened. So it seems kind of stupid to cut up a perfectly fine rod just to fix something that doesn't really affect my fishing. Can someone recommend how I can fix this? Surely, it will be less than the $90 to send the rod back to dobyns.

2. Member
    you can replace the cork. Take it off and install new from the bottom.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denraytay View Post
    you can replace the cork. Take it off and install new from the bottom.
    I know that is an option but damage is only about the size of a nickel on top side of the handle. Can I patch it, or fill it in with anything instead?

You can make filler with ground up cork and wood glue. If the damage is deep, smooth the hole and cut a piece of cork to fit, attach with wood glue then sand smooth.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiemoman View Post
    You can make filler with ground up cork and wood glue. If the damage is deep, smooth the hole and cut a piece of cork to fit, attach with wood glue then sand smooth.
    Yea thats good idea, its deep, the shaft is exposed now.

7. Member
    I mix up cork dust and rod finish...fill it really good, let it dry and sand it

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I have used Elmers filler but never for DEEP chunk. It is easy to use and matches pretty close to cork color.

9. Member
    Wood filler golden oak will work. My family had a rabbit that did a number on one of my cork handles years ago, and I'm still using that rod to this day. It bit right through to the blank, about 2-3". Just a note that it will be noticeable as most cork have pits and holes.

The only other option is to mix cork dust with glue or epoxy, as stated above.

Use some medical, automotive or thin throw away gloves. You may also need to sand it a bit if you build it too high.

10. Member
    Ok thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll give it a try this weekend.

All the above suggestions are doable. But I prefer to mix some cork dust with 5 minute epoxy. That way you can apply the mix, keep it where you want it to go, and if you are careful and smooth it out as it dries you won't have any sanding to do. Sanding epoxy filler in a cork handle is extremely difficult because you will sand the cork faster than the epoxy unless you have the experience and tools. You can even fill the hole 1/2 way and then fill the rest a few minutes later. That is sometimes easier on a larger repair.