2019 150hp etec G2 starts in gear

I believe there is something wrong. I've never had an engine that would allow you to start it in any other gear but neutral. I tried to do the self winterization last night and could not do it because the engine would start at the wide open throttle position. Was I doing something wrong???
    2019 AVX1980 Sumit White
    150hp Evinrude Etec G2
    Ultrex
    Garmin Echomap ultra 106sv bow/console
    Joined the revolution 10/25/19

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Are you using this process?

3. Member
    First off thanks for your response. No I am not following that procedure, I do not have the icon display or the I-link app or lowrance electronics. I'm having to move the throttle to wide open throttle while the key is off then turn the key to on and wait a minimum of 3 seconds then attempt to start the motor three times within 3 seconds the problem is the motor does start. The manual tells me the starter will not engage or crank the motor but it does.
    2019 AVX1980 Sumit White
    150hp Evinrude Etec G2
    Ultrex

4. Member
    Then your neutral safety switch is defective. That is if somebody hasn't wired around it.

5. Member
    Something doesn’t sound right. Process without the fancy gauges is.... put the boat in neutral and push the throttle to about 1/2. Turn the key to the on position and let the 4 lights come on and it beeps like the normal self test. Then turn over the engine and let it run till the four lights go out(about 15 seconds). Pull back to neutral and the lights come back on. About 15 seconds later they go off and you move the throttle back to 1/2 with the motor in neutral and the lights start to flash. The motor will shut off when it’s done. There’s good YouTube videos too.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Check your G2 owners manual, there is a different winterizing procedure than the G1 has
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Member
    Finally got it all figured out. Starting in gear is normal, the EMM will not allow the prop to turn when started. There is a new or different procedure for the black handled(basic) throttle control. Once my dealer e-mailed me a PDF file with new instructions it worked very first time. The procedure that was in my owner's manual was incorrect.
    2019 AVX1980 Sumit White
    150hp Evinrude Etec G2
    Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim1 View Post
    Finally got it all figured out. Starting in gear is normal, the EMM will not allow the prop to turn when started. There is a new or different procedure for the black handled(basic) throttle control. Once my dealer e-mailed me a PDF file with new instructions it worked very first time. The procedure that was in my owner's manual was incorrect.
    Glad you figured it out.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins