Connecting LED rock lights to navigation lights

I need help. I installed some LED lights on my boat today and want to have them come on when I have my navigation lights on or auxiliary lights on.

Thanks for any help.

2015 Nitro Z-9
    Mercury 250 Pro-XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex MSI I-pilot link
    Humminbird 9 Mega SI at Console and Bow

2. Member
    You might want to rethink this....If you put these on to illuminate your deck, depending on how bright they are, I would suggest a separate switch. When on they can make it hard to see while running across the water. Mine are too bright to leave on unless I am sitting working on gear.

Wire to the Auxiliary light switch, assuming you have one.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

What Rampaage just said. I have led's on the bow and stern. In the early morning, the glare was too much while driving. I had to wire in a separate cut off switch for the ones in front. Once I'm sitting out there in the dark, they're perfect for putting light on the deck and providing a little extra safety warning to on-coming boats.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    So if I am reading this right. Buy a dimmer switch that way they can be turned on and off or lowered in brightness for the morning run, correct?

2015 Nitro Z-9
    Mercury 250 Pro-XS

Yep and leave them separate from nav lights
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

That'll work as well. I just shut mine off (while leaving nav lights on) riding out to the first spot. After first light the glare isn't too bad.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

8. Member
    Thanks for all of your help. Lights are hooked up to a dimmer switch and can turn them on or off and are not connected to nav. lights. I had trouble because I was connecting the ground wire from the dimmer to the ground wire on lights and running that to the groud on my bus bar. Once I ran both independantly back to the bus bar the dimmer worked.

boat lights.jpg

2015 Nitro Z-9
    Mercury 250 Pro-XS