Mercury 150 XR6 oil seepage from hole above upper vent plug hole

Serial #OG606378 I have a slight weeping of oil from what I believe is a hole for water to escape from the lower unit in the event of freezing temperatures. How major a problem is this? Can the motor be used without causing damage or further damage? Could unusually high weather temperatures have caused this seeping?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would check the lube and see what it looks like. If no water is found then it may have been over filled and the pressure build up is causing it to weep out. I would probably try to top it off and then bleed an ounce back off of it. Throw the old gasket away and check to make sure someone hasn't accidentally put 2 gaskets on it. If they did, it will leak almost every time. Then put a new gasket on it, tighten to spec, and see how it does.

3. Member
    Thanks.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably wise to have that drained and pressure tested- as it's likely the driveshaft (or shift-shaft) seal is leaking.

Often caused by over-filling the gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor