Evinrude Vindicator 200hp 1998 problem

Hi. First time poster. I have an Evinrude Vindicator 200hp 1998 model, 20" shaft (not sure of the model number) mounted on a 1999 Ranger 518svs. Last few times I've taken it out, at least time when I have it out the indicators start screaming (water temp, check engine and low oil) all come on at the same time. Note, the no oil indicator does not light up. Happens between 3K-4.2K RPMs, no set pattern. I immediately shut down, let it sit for a few minutes. She cranks back up and runs fine. I make generally short runs, lake I fish is 5K acres, so longest I run on plane is <10 minutes. After I start her back up no power loss, runs like a top. Only variable that has changed is new section of fuel line between tank and engine two months ago. Water pressure is good, it's not "hot" coming out of the "pee hole" but not "cool" either. Any ideas or suggestions oh purveyors of knowledge! Just want to make sure I do not blow it up as we all know new motors are too expensive!!

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Welcome to the boards. When the indicator lights come on does the motor go into SLOW mode? If not you may have a bad tach/gauge.

3. Member
    Thanks for the fast reply, much appreciated! What are the characteristics of SLOW mode? When indicators come on (starts screaming, one continuous tone) the engine is still running smoothly. Couple of minutes later, she fires back up and is fine. The gauge is original has 4 lights (was running a '99 175 FICHT before it blew up, dropped the 'Rude Vindicator in without changing any of the rigging): no oil, water temp, check engine and low oil.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    S L O W puts the engine into guardian mode.....meaning it will not go over 1200-1500 rpms...

5. Member
    Got it, the engine is not going into SLOW mode. I'll order a new warning gauge and start from there. Any other advice or things to troubleshoot. Thanks for the help!

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not until you get the new gauge.