Okeechobee in January

Coming to the Big O in January with the Virginia State team. I have never been there. Just looking for advice on rods, line, what to bring etc? Someone said I needed all Heavy action rods and 65lb braid on everything. I assume that time of year will be pre spawn? Would you be throwing frogs that time of year? I need to start doing research but I thought I would start with BBC as I always get the best advice here

Any help on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    That is so so advice. I use 65lb for flippin and pitching. I use 50lb for swimjigs, traps spinnerbaits and skinny dipper. Maybe 50lb for worms or senkos depending on how heavy the cover. But 17lb or 20lb mono/floro will work on worms, senkos or flukes too if you not throwing them in a jungle.

In January the spawn is in full swing down there. All 3 stages. They actually start in late November early December. I have got them as late as the first week in May off beds too. It just depends on the weather and water temp.
    Brad Krone

3. Member
    Thanks for the help very much
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    1. 1.25 - 1.5oz Flip stick with 65-80 pound braid (samurai 80# is my favorite but is pricey) - This is for when you find hyacinth or thick blown down reeds
    2. 5/8 - 3/4oz
    Flip stick with 65-80 pound braid (samurai 80# is my favorite but is pricey) - This is for reeds, Kissimmee grass, pads, & outer edges
    3. 3/8 - 1/2oz Vibrating jig 50-70 pound braid (smurai 70# is my fav)
    4. 1/4 - 3/8oz Swim Jig
    50-70 pound braid (samurai 70# is my fav)
    5. 1/8 - 3/16oz TX Rig - either a stick bait or a speed worm (speed spade, ultravibe, cut r worm, machete worm, & burner worm to name a few)

Also have some skinny dippers, Big EZs, and mag trick worms. I use heavier braids but the samurai is thing and smooth. the 55# is strong but thin and i always seem to back lash it. 70-80 is strong as a bull and will last forever on a reel. J Braid 65# works great. as a cheaper option. Id go J Braid if your just going to pull it off after the trip.

flippin wise I would be using a sweet beaver in black/blue, hematoma, or blue craw swirl. 2nd choice would be a klone crawsome in blue black swirl.

5. Member
    Keep an eye out for water levels as if it drops fishing will change as will the cover.check back in late December

Use this site for water level info....http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/currentLL.shtml

Click on the picture for water history and trending data. Depending on where you go, water level can be a major factor on location and techniques. I am personally comfortable at 13 ft. Might want to prefish and get an idea before the tourney.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Member
    Lake Levels this is the best one I have used. Got it from another thread on here https://www.basssavvy.com/nearby-lakes?
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

8. Banned
    Bring snowbird repellent. They are worse than the knats and skeeters.

9. Member
    Bump...

10. Banned
    I'm tossing Topwater Sammy™ on a 8# mono Come on, go down to 40# Braid and give the Fish half a chance...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    I'm tossing Topwater Sammy™ on a 8# mono Come on, go down to 40# Braid and give the Fish half a chance...
    No way you need at least 80# and that’s on your spinning rod.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    No way you need at least 80# and that’s on your spinning rod.
    I only use 80# if I'm pulling a skier...

2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

14. Member
    Now I understand I thought maybe it was if you wanted to pull that pesky laydown out of your way.

15. Member
    Remember our fathers and fathers before us killed them on mono. Do not over think it! For example: My frog rod has 30 braid because I like how it casts--never lost a fish breaking off.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Lake Levels this is the best one I have used. Got it from another thread on here https://www.basssavvy.com/nearby-lakes?
    Scott, do you like the tabs on the lake pages at the top?

If there's a lake or tx trail you would like to see there, use the contact form to request it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCFatBoy View Post
    Scott, do you like the tabs on the lake pages at the top?

If there's a lake or tx trail you would like to see there, use the contact form to request it.
    Yes, The tabs are great. Really nice you can see some water level history. Thank You
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Yes, The tabs are great. Really nice you can see some water level history. Thank You
    You're welcome.

19. Member
    Current report on the Big O?