Thread: 2016 G2

Banned

2016 G2

I went out yesterday after fishing Saturday and was rearranging the mess I had made and pick out backlashes. I kept hearing an occasional loud cracking sound and finally found out it was coming from motor. It was slightly tilted so I turned power on and lowered front of boat and dropped motor all the way down. It did not make noise after doing this. Is this an issue or something to be concerned with? I have only used boat couple times and I do like the motor.

tks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What year/model is your boat? When the engine is tilted [and at rest], there’s more leverage against the transom, and with the engine not running, you can hear things you might not ordinarily hear. Is there any possibility, even remote, that your transom is damaged, so that the weight of the motor just hanging there is producing that noise? I’ve never heard of that engine itself making such a noise, or any outboard engine for that matter. But the next time you hear that noise, drop everything and pull a side panel of the motor so that you can get your ear as close as possible to detect where the sound is coming from.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Tilt it up, take a measurement to floor from skeg, check the measurement later or even next day.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Tilt it up, take a measurement to floor from skeg, check the measurement later or even next day.
    What he said...

Also make sure that the MRV valve is tight, this is the valve used to manually tilt the motor. Its not the problem but tech support always asks to check it so this way if someone asks you can say 'yes i have checked it and its tight'.

If you go back to your engine and it is lower then when you started you can probably expect a new midsection from BRP.