Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What voids a warranty on a Yamaha?

Is there a "list' of things that would void a warranty? If so where can I find it? I've checked Yamaha's website and didn't find anything.
    2005 Champion 206 Elite /Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Starting them

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabela10 View Post
    Starting them

Look in the owners manual?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    Almost nothing will void the warranty.

Only thing that comes to mind is if and when a motor registered for pleasure use gets used commercially the three year warranty defaults to the one year warranty.

But remember that not everything is covered by the warranty. Or service contract.

6. Member
    Flashing the CPU?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Flashing the CPU?
    That might do it. For certain parts.

8. Member
    From what I've seen on Yamaha's website doing a modification to the motor doesn't void any warranty.If it is determined that the modification caused the damage then the warranty would be void.
    2005 Champion 206 Elite /Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    I haven't done anything to mine, but the conventional wisdom here is it's OK to flash from, say a 250hp to 300 hp, but it's not acceptable to alter the max RPM limiter. Would this be a correct statement?

10. Scraps
    This sure does differ from Merc's warranty. Failure to follow the recommended maintenance will void the warranty or prohibit warranty coverage.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I haven't done anything to mine, but the conventional wisdom here is it's OK to flash from, say a 250hp to 300 hp, but it's not acceptable to alter the max RPM limiter. Would this be a correct statement?
    Yes. This would do it. I fish with a guy that, for a while, was one of the warranty guys for Yamaha. When motors were first starting to be flashed, they would review the computer and see that it went over 6200rpms and deny the warranty claim. He said they couldn't understand why they were all of a sudden having broken cranks, until they saw how fast the motors were spinning.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabela10 View Post
    Starting them
    What a smart ass but that's funny.

13. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    Yes. This would do it. I fish with a guy that, for a while, was one of the warranty guys for Yamaha. When motors were first starting to be flashed, they would review the computer and see that it went over 6200rpms and deny the warranty claim. He said they couldn't understand why they were all of a sudden having broken cranks, until they saw how fast the motors were spinning.
    Hogwash.

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

14. Member
    I knew you'd say that. I've seen your post before. You can believe me or not. Doesn't matter to me. I'm fishing with him Sunday. He was one of the warranty guys that approved/denied warranty. He told me that's exactly what they looked for. Doesn't matter to me, I've got nothing to prove to you.

Edit to add, if I blew up my Yamaha I'd put a tuned sho on it. I just wouldnt turn it north of 6200.

15. Member
    Its whatever they say it is if u have a problem they determine not caused by a defect
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

16. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    I knew you'd say that. I've seen your post before. You can believe me or not. Doesn't matter to me. I'm fishing with him Sunday. He was one of the warranty guys that approved/denied warranty. He told me that's exactly what they looked for. Doesn't matter to me, I've got nothing to prove to you.

Edit to add, if I blew up my Yamaha I'd put a tuned sho on it. I just wouldnt turn it north of 6200.
    Interesting not one real person came here and said I got my yamaha sho denied warranty due to over revs......

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Warranty is not voided, the claim is.
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

18. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    I had over-revs on a completely stock motor due to the lower unit giving out. How does that equate to a flashed ECU with raised limiter?

19. Member
    I know a fella who had his claim denied due to several past overheat alarms. I also know a guy who was denied for same issue with a Merc, and another with a 4 stroke Suzuki.

20. Member
    A lot of approving or denying a warranty claim is judgmental. For instance, when there is no clear cut evidence one way or the other they have to make an educated decision based on what they see.

IMO Yamaha always tends to side with the owner of the motor. They are not looking to deny a claim.

If the lower unit has failed and the mechanic reports that it has low or no oil in it, would the failure be warrantable?

If a cylinder head is warped and there are numerous over temperature counts recorded by the ECU is that warrantable?

If a crank shaft is broken and there are numerous over speed counts on the ECU is that warrantable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast