98 Nitro 896 DC Summit prop

I seeing if I am running the right prop on my Nitro. I have only had it out a few time but I feel it has way more in it. It has a 02 225 optimax on it (runs great) 8" manual jackplate, 25p Tempest plus 3.5" below pad. It will touch 70 with just me in it @ redline about 21psi on the water. Whole shot is good (havent tried it with livewells and another person yet). I just raised the motor to 3.25" but havent been out yet.

I have read the 25p tempest plus it a great prop for this hull but that was with the 200 efi on it.

2. Member
    If the motor was at RED LINE why did you raise it up since that should increase rpm's causing you opti max to go into guardian mode and shut down? You need to test it loaded ready to run like you will use it most of the time.

3. Member
    I only raised it to see if it would help on mid speed performance, I wasn't trying to get more speed as it doesn't have any more left.

4. Member
    My 1999 896 summit single console runs 73 with 200. EFI on gps
    I would think you could get a few more mph from your boat with the 225 with correct set up
    and the 200 efi loves the 25 tempest plus. This boat runs as good as my new Legend
    Last edited by bassdge; 10-29-2019 at 07:43 PM.

5. Member
    How did you get a 896 with a 225HP I have had 2 and they were rated at a 200HP max? Are you running a 3 blade or 4?

6. Member
    Sounds like you need a little prop work to get rid of the any prop slip you have. Raising the motor might make the slip worse.

10% is about as good as that boat will get, which is what he is getting at 5750, there is a possibility if the prop stays hooked up that slip might go down and speed up slightly, I would try it as you got know for sure what is to high and what is to low. It should alarm if it hits limiter, it wont shutdown, just wont increase rpm and the alarm will become constant, At least that is how it worked my early optimax
    Last edited by lpugh; 10-30-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    He's got 14% slip now not 10% and it's got 2-3 mph left in it if the prop is right.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basslargemouth View Post
    How did you get a 896 with a 225HP I have had 2 and they were rated at a 200HP max? Are you running a 3 blade or 4?
    It had a 225 on it when I purchased it, and yes its "rated at 200" it has a 3 blade 25p tempest plus on it currently.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Sounds like you need a little prop work to get rid of the any prop slip you have. Raising the motor might make the slip worse.
    I was able to run it a bit Monday, didn't make much difference raising it. I probably will put it back down to 3.5" as it is walking before full trim now. Of course its snowing today so who knows when I will get back out.

What is everyone's though on sending the prop out to have it checked or worked a bit? It doesn't look like it has hit anything but I don't know the history on it either.

11. Member
    Since the prop isn't new I'd have it checked so you know what you have now and if it needs any work. You could call or email Mark Croxton and ask what he would charge just to check it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    He's got 14% slip now not 10% and it's got 2-3 mph left in it if the prop is right.
    https://www.marksmarineinc.com/choose-your-prop-with-the--prop-calculator
    25 tempest 1.75 gear ratio 5750 limiter 70 mph = 10% slip
    That boat is not a bass cat or stratos. Real good conditions and prepped prop and a load on the light side may get prop slip down and speed up a little, not much
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Try using 26" for a cupped prop and this calculator. https://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm