Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newton water temps

Anyone been out lately? Headed down with a friend just in time for post-frontal conditions Friday morning. Any water temps available? I'd imagine them to fall a few more degrees with the lows predicted ahead.

2. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Make sure you check and see if they will be open to fishing as waterfowl starts very soon.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

3. Member
    I think the water fowl season doesn't open for a few weeks . If it is open you still have all the hot side to fish all day. The cold side will be closed until 1:00 during duck season .

4. Member
    It's open.

5. Member
    Buddy went out Thursday and tore them up on the hot side with a rattle trap. He didnt tell me what the water temp was but said he caught so many that he couldnt keep a count...and I believe him...had a few days like that out there before with him in the fall.
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

6. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    I think the water fowl season doesn't open for a few weeks . If it is open you still have all the hot side to fish all day. The cold side will be closed until 1:00 during duck season .
    Thank you for the info.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

7. Member
    Was there for a tournament Saturday. Warmest water we saw quite a ways up hot side was 65 and the coolest we saw on cold side was 60.

8. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Don't forget the 3 day Shotgun Deer seasons.

9. Member
    For anyone else making the trip down, hot side temps were 63 and cold side was 57. Bite was tough, but typical for post-frontal midwest fishing. No bigs, but a wad of 2.5-2.75lbers for the weekend. Always good to get on the water there. Good luck everyone!

10. Member
    mt dad and I were there on saturday and didn't find much either . We found a mix of smaller fish both deep and shallow . I figured if the big ones didn't bite shallow they must be deeper but when got off the bank we caught the same size fish . Was either better for you purdue? It seemed like water temp didn't matter .

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    mt dad and I were there on saturday and didn't find much either . We found a mix of smaller fish both deep and shallow . I figured if the big ones didn't bite shallow they must be deeper but when got off the bank we caught the same size fish . Was either better for you purdue? It seemed like water temp didn't matter .
    it seemed to me that the fish were making their way out to their winter haunts. I think the bait was even making its way out too. Most of our fish were in the 4-7’ range; bigger ones were on the deeper side but plenty of small fish throughout that range too. Very random in main lake and secondary points. Pretty typical fall fishing. Seemed like we were probably 2-3wks late on that fall feed. Still a beautiful lake, and happy to have almost all of it to ourselves with everyone else in the woods.

12. Member
    I thought the same thing about the bait heading out . I think the recent cold snap got them thinking about moving deeper .

13. Member
    Is Newton open this weekend for fishing or will they have it shut down for hunting?

14. Member
    It is open . I will be in a tournament saturday.

15. Member
    How did the tournament shake out?

16. Member
    We won with four fish at 14.38 . There was only seven boats and all agreed that the fishing was tough . I believe some of that was because the plant was not running . The water temp was 49 at the hot and cold bouys and 51 near the dam . That always seems to screw the fish up .

17. Member
    Anyone been lately ? Wondering about water temps, results

18. Member
    I was there a week ago. Warmest was 72 and coldest was 45. Clarity was around 2 feet. I only caught 11 with 1 keeper. I ran into Tab at the end of the day and he said his group caught around 25 with 3 keepers. He also said that the day before was a lot better. We are probably going on Thursday and we have a tournament on Sunday... with 20-30 mph winds.. oh joy! lol

19. Member
    Thinking about heading down Tomorrow. Anybody been out? Temps,bites? TIA
    Please release me,let me go.

20. Member
    Gun season lake is closed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast