Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Non-ethanol gas use

is there any reason to NOT use ethanol free gas in today's 4-stroke Mercury's, or is it always a better option?

2. Member
    I would say it is a better alternative if available.

3. Banned
    It's all I've been using in my Zuke. Only issue "maybe" is where you get it, and how often others use it at that location. Being that not many people use it, it's hard to say the age of the gas in the station's tank...???

4. Member
    It's all I've used in mine for the past three years.

5. Member
    I ran ethanol in a fast strike 150 for over 20 years never had a problem. I replaced the fuel lines and when I did I cut them open to see if they had deteriorated any and they was in decent shape. I did run a fuel treatment all the time though. And I also only ran a top tier gas. I would think the newer 4 strokes could handle ethanol even better then a motor made in 1995. But who knows.

6. Member
    If I had a new, or newer, motor, I would read my Owner's manual.

That said. If it's on the internet, it has to be right.

I'm running a 200 HPDI, i bought new in 2002. Runs like a striped cat, always has. Nothing but 87 gas.

I'd almost bet the new motors are designed for 87 octane. The 4 strokes are basically car engines.

Cost is a down side. And since it is more expensive, it gets used less so it sits in the tank at the station longer which is not good. All outboards currently being sold, as well as those sold for probably at lest the last two decades, are designed to handle it. Ethanol will not hurt a modern outboard. But, untreated gas with ethanol will absorb water out of the air and that ain’t good. But, a fuel stabilizer will handle that. If you’re cycling it through at a steady rate, you really don’t need to worry.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I don’t understand the technical aspects, but over time have come to the opinion that I only use non-ethanol in my boats and lawn power equipment. This opinion mostly leans toward off season storage and the propensity of Ethanol to retain moisture.
    My pontoon boat is stored 4 months of the year because of lake drawdown. I always top off the tank prior to storing to reduce the opportunity of condensing moisture from the air in the tank.
    My Bass boat does not have this issue because I fish all 12 months. However, I only use non-ethanol as a precaution. I have good access to non-ethanol so why take a chance.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Banned
    Downside that I encounter is I can get ethanol free at the lake house but can't get it where I live. So I'd be mixing it, which would negate any advantage... If there is any advantage... The engineers developed and tested these engines to run on a 10% ethanol fuel... So that's what I use 100% of the time... Dan

Non ethanol only matters if the fuel is going to set for more than a month in contact with humid air. Marine mechanic i know says proper octain first, then ethanol free if available in the recomended octain.

11. Member
    That is all I use in anything sitting for long periods of time: chainsaws, RZR, boats, lawn mowers, motorcycles, 4 wheeler, leaf blower, generator, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Cost is a down side. And since it is more expensive, it gets used less so it sits in the tank at the station longer which is not good. All outboards currently being sold, as well as those sold for probably at lest the last two decades are designed to handle it. Ethanol will not hurt a modern outboard. But, untreated gas with ethanol will absorb water out of the air and that ain’t good. But, a fuel stabilizer will handle that. If you’re cycling it through at a steady rate, you really don’t need to worry.

Not my 2000 OX66 225 Yamaha. In the owners manual it states use only non ethanol gas . I ran 10 gallons of moonshine on top of 35 gallons of non ethanol gas in Missouri once, because the pumps weren’t marked.
    As far as non ethanol fuel sitting In station’s tanks longer—- depends. The station I trade at, so does most the lawn service guys, boaters, people bringing 5 gallon cans for their lawn equipment or snow blowers.

13. Member
    Yeah my 2000 ox66 225 hates ethanol gas. She runs better on 100%.

Only downside is cost, although a gas station by my house has a super high non ethanol turnover (right next to a major interstate) and they do $2.49 gal atm

14. Member
    Which ever is cheaper. All the newer model engines are made to run with ethanol as well. Most times I only put about 10 gallons and burn most of it within a week so it's not that important to me. I also have a station by me that sells 0%, 5% and 10% so I have options.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

15. Member
    My old nitro hated ethanol gas. 90% of the issues I had was due to ethanol fuel causing deteriorated gas lines and build up in the motor. Swapped the lines and had my mechanic clean the motor up and ran so much better witH ethanol free. My boat now has always had non ethanol and it runs better than most boats half it’s age. Absolutely no way I’d ever put ethanol in my motor now. 24yrs old and runs better than my old 16yr old boat, all due to crap gas.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Here's a good video with some objective tests that are pretty revealing. The guy who makes these videos tries to be as scientific as he can and still conduct down to earth experiments.

1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

17. Member
    NON-OXY is the only and BEST way for 2-strokes! I haven't yet owed a 4 stroke, but here in MN i can only find High Octane Non-oxy. Which i don't have any issues with. I barely use any fuel stabilizer treatments.
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

18. Member
    That's the video I saw that made me concerned. My 2017 60hp 4 stroke merc sips gas. I have the same 21 gallons (4 gal left) from 11 months ago...I put Merc quikcare fuel treatment in it when I filled up, but living in Florida with it's high humidity concerns me, thus my question. I have <10% ethy right around the corner, and non ethy about 11 miles away....wasn't sure if it's worth the trip for the non ethanol...

19. Member
    What type of fuel in a 92 XRI would you use and would you use a additive

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Here's a good video with some objective tests that are pretty revealing. The guy who makes these videos tries to be as scientific as he can and still conduct down to earth experiments.

Well that's eye opening...
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast