Thread: So much food!

So much food!

Rainy summer and fall has resulted in so much food everywhere for the deer. Last year was drought and mast crops were light (not that I hunted anyway). This year apples, beech and acorns all have huge crops. If nothing else, the deer should be in good shape heading into winter.

How's it look in your neck of the woods?

Good mast crop here in N. Ga. Coming out of a two month drought. Rain finally this week should kick in the food plots. Lots of leaves still on the trees where the woods are too thick to see much.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

3. Member
    Here in North central Ct. no acorn for the third year in a row.

4. Member
    I have never seen as many acorns as this year..... I'm a landscaper and I have picked up enough acorns this year off customers properties to fill a tri axle dump truck and then some.....

5. Banned
    Very dry in my area, very wet spring but 40 days straight of 100+ during the summer really dried it out. Deer visiting the corn and protein religiously and are in good shape.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    Here in North central Ct. no acorn for the third year in a row.
    Really? That's surprising. Is that because of gypsy moths or just bad years?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Really? That's surprising. Is that because of gypsy moths or just bad years?
    Not sure why, wish I knew. The area I live in was devastated by the gypsy moth caterpillars. White and red oaks by the thousands dead in this area. Local tree guy said caterpillars and drought caused many oaks to be stressed beyond their ability to recover. I did notice just 10 miles south of me there is moderate acorn and that area also lost a bunch of oaks due to gypsy caterpillars.

1" of rain here since July 8th, so no food plots...yet. Good acorn crop and the corn feeders are slinging, will also add some road corn. 21 years here and it's the first year without wheat food plots.

9. Banned
    Lots of acorns and corn here in eastern NC. Sweet potatoes and peanut crops are planted just about everywhere.

The area I hunt in southern VT has millions of acorns, lots of apples and hickory nuts and a fair amount of beechnuts. Deer don't have to move to eat right now. I shot a hen turkey yesterday and cut the crop open, it was full of beechnuts. Blanked during our archery season that ended Nov 1st. Waiting for rifle buck season that starts Nov 16th.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870